TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Name: Christian

So, I have problems with memory... - May 8th 2012, 01:19 AM

I've been in this school for 3 years and still can't remember the names of the teachers. It's a small freakin' school in the middle of nowhere and half the time, I forget what my classes specifically are and where I am. To get through the day, I have to do almost the same thing over and over, check the date, recheck to make sure the straighter is turned off, and a manner of other things. It goes beyond ordinary "short term". I cannot retain information to learn. I once lost six months of memory and it took me about three days to get it back. I've woken up thinking it's 2008 and having no idea what's going on. I guess it's all part of dissociation, but it's disheartening to say the least... There are some things I don't want to forget.

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 8th 2012, 02:15 AM

Have you ever been tested for a learning disability?? If not maybe you should talk to the counslors at your school and ask them to test you for a learning disability. I know this because I have a learning disability. Im not sure what its called that I have its called some thing like short term memory promblems. Thats why I suck at math and test. But its not as bad as what you explained. Im not stupid and I know whats going on and where I am. It doesnt mean I dont remember things I remeber a LOT of things its just stuff like school work I have to work harder at to remember it for it to stay in my brain.

I also would tell your parents whats going on so they can maybe start finding help for you or answers on why this is happening.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 8th 2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Have you ever been tested for a learning disability?? If not maybe you should talk to the counslors at your school and ask them to test you for a learning disability.
They'd have noticed if I had one by now.. I have the IQ of a genius; that's related to how much one can learn so I doubt it's learning disability. My parents don't care if I'm sick anymore so it's pointless to say anything. :/

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 8th 2012, 02:55 AM

Im sure your parents care. Have you ever brough it up to your parents. Your parents are not mind readers so you have to tell them whats bugging you and how things make you feel so there aware of it.

There is a thing called a neurological assessment and Psychological Assessment. You have to find a therapist or doctor that does the assessment. I think its more neuroligical though but Im no doctor. There very expensive though but worth it because it defintly sounds like something is going on. Because waking up and feeling like its a diffrent year is not normal. Could be early alzheimers too which is very rare at your age but could happen. You can find some one that does these assments by googling or going to your doctors office and asking for referals on people that do these kind of assements. Also talk to your parents about whats going on tell them your symptoms. Your parents will have to most likely pay for the assement if you get it done so you have to fill them in about this.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 8th 2012, 02:55 AM

For the learning thing (because I don't know anything about the other memory stuff), it's possible that you could be experiencing trouble with something called working memory - this is similar to short-term memory in that the information is held in the same place, but different in that working memory deals with when we have to do things with the information we're trying to remember - for example trying to do long division in your head sort of thing.

It affects stuff like trying to remember how to work out an equation, where classes are, and that sort of thing.

As for the day/date/place stuff, have you tried writing stuff down or having visual clues? I know that if I hadn't had my timetable with me literally all the time at school, I never would have got to the right place. I also had a tendency to miss assemblies because I simply forgot what day they were and went to my tutor group instead. You could also try finding a buddy who's in similar classes to you, you said you go to a small school so that may be an easier way to do that, and you could write your teacher's name on the book for that subject as well as your own name so you can remember it.

My IQ's pretty up there as well apparently (it got tested last year), but I had trouble with learning all the way through high school due to undetected problems with working memory - they are the result of a head injury I had as a child.

The other memory stuff - where you've forgotten things or even by the sounds of it years in some cases, sounds a lot more serious, and I urge you to see a doctor about this and get referred to someone. It's possible that there's some underlying issues, you may need scans or something or help from a neurologist/neuropsychologist to figure out what's going on and how to prevent it from happening.

Also as you are dissociating, there are things you can do to help yourself be more "present" or "in the moment" which can help with memory. There's things like taking time to be aware of each of your senses - you know, considering all the input, what am I hearing/seeing/feeling/smelling/tasting - and also deliberately focussing on what's happening around you, for example, I'm walking, I can feel the squishiness of my shoes but also the firmness of the concrete, the concrete is grey and my shoes are colourful - stuff like this, just helps you to be more aware of yourself and therefore more likely to remember what's going on later.

Regardless of what your parents feel, you should make an effort to see a GP or a school counselor, someone who can refer you to a professional who will be able to help you with this more.

Good luck

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 9th 2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Im sure your parents care. Have you ever brough it up to your parents. Your parents are not mind readers so you have to tell them whats bugging you and how things make you feel so there aware of it.
They don't care actually. My therapist has made them aware of things and they have done nothing about it. They don't care if I'm hungry, cold, hot, or sick. They have never cared and I cannot make them. I will not forgive them for what they've done.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: So, I have problems with memory... - May 9th 2012, 09:07 PM

My memory problems are likely due to dissociation and switching :/ I have no neurological problems besides pseudo seizures.

Closed Thread