TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Des

is this normal - May 9th 2012, 03:37 AM

If this isn't the right place to be in than feel free to move it.

I am so confused, In weeks I would be so energetic, happy, hyper, can't really sleep and after that I would get so depressed and feel like to stay in bed and cry and that last days oh and sometimes angry but not all the time, then it would go back to happy, hyper and yeah. is this normal?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: is this normal - May 9th 2012, 08:59 AM

Hey Des-

To start off, "normal" is classified as many different different things, even in the psychology world. What you're experiencing, is normal to you. Maybe not to some, but normal to another. I don't mean to give the whole normal speech, I think you get the idea =P

I experience that and got diagnosed Bipolar. I can't diagnose you, but if you look it up those are common symptoms. And the 'manic' part of bipolar can show in anger as well. And just general mood swings. It can be fast cycling, up and down in minutes, or it can take weeks or months or sometimes even years of people feeling depressed or manic ('up', energetic, hyper, ect.) before they switch.

I would do some research, there are other diagnosis it could be. And maybe for something you're going through now, this is to be expected. I would definitely seek professional advice. A school counselor works and can help, but a therapist or psychiatrist would be your best choice if that's possible.

Best of luck, if you need any help feel free to PM me. I can give advice that's helped for me for coping. =) I'm not on here very often, but I'll get back to you.

Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: is this normal - May 9th 2012, 11:35 AM

I agree with the above poster. Best book an appointment with your doctor who can refer you to a therapist and psychiatrist in order to help with potential diagnosis and treatment. You're absolutely right, you shouldn't have to suffer these debilitating symptoms!

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: is this normal - May 9th 2012, 04:17 PM

OKay thanks you two I will try and check it out. But I really hate therapist or seeing one, I'm scared admiting that I need help too

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: is this normal - May 10th 2012, 04:59 PM

Sometimes it's difficult to admit your issues because that makes them real, and makes you realise there's something wrong that shouldn't be. But reaching out is your best chance of getting the help you need, for diagnosis and treatment

Best of luck, keep us posted!

Michy

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: is this normal - May 14th 2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
Hey Des-

To start off, "normal" is classified as many different different things, even in the psychology world. What you're experiencing, is normal to you. Maybe not to some, but normal to another. I don't mean to give the whole normal speech, I think you get the idea =P

I experience that and got diagnosed Bipolar. I can't diagnose you, but if you look it up those are common symptoms. And the 'manic' part of bipolar can show in anger as well. And just general mood swings. It can be fast cycling, up and down in minutes, or it can take weeks or months or sometimes even years of people feeling depressed or manic ('up', energetic, hyper, ect.) before they switch.

I would do some research, there are other diagnosis it could be. And maybe for something you're going through now, this is to be expected. I would definitely seek professional advice. A school counselor works and can help, but a therapist or psychiatrist would be your best choice if that's possible.

Best of luck, if you need any help feel free to PM me. I can give advice that's helped for me for coping. =) I'm not on here very often, but I'll get back to you.

Maria.
Does anxiety panics is a symptoms for bipolar? cuz I do have them sometimes there not not that bad.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: is this normal - May 15th 2012, 01:15 PM

Hey Des!
So seeing as we are not doctors we can't exactly say whats "normal" or if you have a problem, but it sounds like you are really struggling with this, so I would make an appointment!

Trust me, I know how scary it can be to talk to someone. But once you are out in the open with your issues, it really does get easier.
I'm sure you dont want to feel this way any more, and this is how you fight back! You just need to be open and honest with the doctors.

I know from experience that therapy has helped me wonders, and I'm sure the same can go for you! You should be proud of yourself for taking the first step and reaching out!
Now it's time to do something about it!
We are here for you always, Des! Keep it up!

Shelby

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: is this normal - May 15th 2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des1615 View Post
Does anxiety panics is a symptoms for bipolar? cuz I do have them sometimes there not not that bad.
Panic attacks are not a symptom of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, not an anxiety disorder. With that being said, it's not uncommon for people to have multiple mental illnesses. For example, someone who experiences bipolar disorder could become anxious and have a panic attack because they're worried about when their next depressive episode will occur. Over time, this could develop into an anxiety disorder, which would then be co-morbid with the bipolar disorder. (Keep in mind that we ALL experience a bit of anxiety in our every day lives - so not everything you experience automatically qualifies as a mental illness, which is why it's crucial that you avoid self-diagnosis and allow a psychological professional to assess you over time if you suspect something is wrong.)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Des1615 Offline
Average Joe

Re: is this normal - May 15th 2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

Panic attacks are not a symptom of bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, not an anxiety disorder. With that being said, it's not uncommon for people to have multiple mental illnesses. For example, someone who experiences bipolar disorder could become anxious and have a panic attack because they're worried about when their next depressive episode will occur. Over time, this could develop into an anxiety disorder, which would then be co-morbid with the bipolar disorder. (Keep in mind that we ALL experience a bit of anxiety in our every day lives - so not everything you experience automatically qualifies as a mental illness, which is why it's crucial that you avoid self-diagnosis and allow a psychological professional to assess you over time if you suspect something is wrong.)
Okay Thanks

Closed Thread