TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ven Offline
Big Damn hero :-)
Not a n00b

Name: Robert

got a diagnosis - May 10th 2012, 11:22 AM

Hi guys!

Ok a few of you may know that on Tuesday i went to see Occupational Health the guy i spoke basically said he thinks i have Borderline Personality Disorder with maybe some Autistic elements attached to it as well.

The guy also said it has to be something like this because the amount of help i have had from the NHS over the years should have sorted any ''normal'' if i can use that word mental health issue.

He also was honest and said their isn't much that can be done for me either.

I wasn't ok with this but now i feel i am ok with this idea, he suggested since i lack a family with its support structures and analytical problem solving benefits that i might benefit living in a church run community which i am
considering.

Anyway work hopefully will be approving my Hypnotherapy but the guy again was honest enough to admit it probably wont do much to help me.

so that's my health update

pain is a fabrication of the mind life is a regretable and unavoidable reality, which sucks ass big time.

Your afraid because you still hope ,Bly you have to admit you are dead then and only then can you function as a soldier is supposed to without fear, compassion or mercy'' amen Captain Ronald Spiers 101st Airborne E company 506th p.i.r

''Sister i wont ask for forgiveness my sins are all i have'' Bruce Springsteen

I currently suffer with Post Traumatic Personality Disorder :-)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: got a diagnosis - May 10th 2012, 12:10 PM

Hi Rob,

There's DEFINITELY things that can be done to manage and get through BPD!

DBT and CBT therapies, medications to treat the debilitating symptoms such as mood swings, impulsivity and uncontrollable rage episodes, general underlying anxiety, dissociative episodes, etc.

I'm so sorry you got left with a diagonsis and no treatment plan!

As someone with BPD comorbid with Depression, you can speak with me anytime.

Try and find a PD (Personality Disorder) therapist, or link in with a psychologist who has more experience with PDs and Autism, too.

You're not alone!

Feel free to PM me!!

Michy.

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: got a diagnosis - May 10th 2012, 12:37 PM

I agree with Michy, there's always something that can be done. DBT was developed specifically for people with BPD, and there are medications that can help treat some of the symptoms associated with the disorder.

On the other hand I also thought I should mention that occupational therapists can't diagnose (and there's a reason for that!). They aren't trained in nearly as much detail about mental illnesses as a psychiatrist is, and mental illnesses are pretty confusing (especially BPD). I would suggest talking to a psychiatrist about the possibility of having BPD before jumping to any conclusions about your treatment options.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ven Offline
Not a n00b

May 10th 2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFayth View Post
I agree with Michy, there's always something that can be done. DBT was developed specifically for people with BPD, and there are medications that can help treat some of the symptoms associated with the disorder.

On the other hand I also thought I should mention that occupational therapists can't diagnose (and there's a reason for that!). They aren't trained in nearly as much detail about mental illnesses as a psychiatrist is, and mental illnesses are pretty confusing (especially BPD). I would suggest talking to a psychiatrist about the possibility of having BPD before jumping to any conclusions about your treatment options.

I fully agree with you however believe it or not my Psychiatrist never diagnosed me just put it down to depression, this guy after spending an hour talking to me said that's what he thinks it is, my Uni Therapist said he suspected the same illness as well but refrained from being official about it because he doesn't believe in labels.

But i fully agree with you both as well i do need to look in to this more but im just glad this illness has a potential name and if it has a name its got a face and if it has both of them then it gives me a fighting chance against it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michy_Blackrose View Post
Hi Rob,

There's DEFINITELY things that can be done to manage and get through BPD!

DBT and CBT therapies, medications to treat the debilitating symptoms such as mood swings, impulsivity and uncontrollable rage episodes, general underlying anxiety, dissociative episodes, etc.

I'm so sorry you got left with a diagonsis and no treatment plan!

As someone with BPD comorbid with Depression, you can speak with me anytime.

Try and find a PD (Personality Disorder) therapist, or link in with a psychologist who has more experience with PDs and Autism, too.

You're not alone!

Feel free to PM me!!

Michy.

Thanks Michy , i do need proper guidance on this issue and i do need to do my research on it as well, thanks for the help and advice and the support

pain is a fabrication of the mind life is a regretable and unavoidable reality, which sucks ass big time.

Your afraid because you still hope ,Bly you have to admit you are dead then and only then can you function as a soldier is supposed to without fear, compassion or mercy'' amen Captain Ronald Spiers 101st Airborne E company 506th p.i.r

Last edited by PSY; May 19th 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: got a diagnosis - May 10th 2012, 01:13 PM

I'm glad we've been able to help

All the best, keep TH posted!

Michy. x

And I was in the darkness,
So darkness I became.

<3
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: got a diagnosis - May 10th 2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapOfFayth View Post
Second this. I mean, there are other mental health issues that can exhibit similar symptoms to one another, first of all. Also, the Autism Spectrum would explain some symptoms that would otherwise be explained by BPD (like bursts of anger, for one), which would cancel out at least part of that diagnosis, *technically*.

Just, be sure to see a proper mental health professional. You could mention what the Occupational Therapist has said to you, but don't take it as a diagnosis.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
ven Offline
Not a n00b

May 10th 2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michy_Blackrose View Post
I'm glad we've been able to help

All the best, keep TH posted!

Michy. x
Will do Michy i may need some advice at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Second this. I mean, there are other mental health issues that can exhibit similar symptoms to one another, first of all. Also, the Autism Spectrum would explain some symptoms that would otherwise be explained by BPD (like bursts of anger, for one), which would cancel out at least part of that diagnosis, *technically*.

Just, be sure to see a proper mental health professional. You could mention what the Occupational Therapist has said to you, but don't take it as a diagnosis.
Agreed but it gives me a starting point which is more than have ever had before, i may have given the wrong impression im not seeing it as official but like i say it gives me a better idea of what im up against so now i can act instead of reacting.

Last edited by PSY; May 19th 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ven Offline
Not a n00b

Re: got a diagnosis - May 19th 2012, 06:38 PM

update: i got my report back from Occupational help/Therapy the guy who did the report and spoke to me is a fully qualified Doctor with more letters and company abbreviations after his name than i understand.

So if he says i have B.P.D i am inclined to take notice, anyway he basically says my illness isn't going to go away and i need a family based environment which will apparently be of better benefit to me.

I've also gone to my doctor and asked for a mental health ref feral how helpful this will be is debatable.

and im also going through an AddAction alcohol programme as well

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: got a diagnosis - May 19th 2012, 08:20 PM

I feel like something is being lost in translation here. Yes, borderline personality disorder is notoriously difficult to treat; however, there ARE treatment options that can help you manage this mental illness. Like other members said, DBT and CBT have been used to treat borderline personality disorder, and there are medications that can help to a certain extent. Also, your doctor(s) may have failed to mention that the severity of borderline personality disorders tends to decrease with age. If I recall correctly, studies have shown that borderline personality disorder tends to become more manageable when someone is in their 40s. So to say that there's no hope is completely inaccurate. You may be facing a long and difficult road, but things don't have to remain as they are. You can make some improvements now, and you can look forward to the future. With age and experience, you can reduce the negative effects of borderline personality disorder. Be persistent and get the services you need in order to fight this!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
ven Offline
Not a n00b

Re: got a diagnosis - May 19th 2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
I feel like something is being lost in translation here. Yes, borderline personality disorder is notoriously difficult to treat; however, there ARE treatment options that can help you manage this mental illness. Like other members said, DBT and CBT have been used to treat borderline personality disorder, and there are medications that can help to a certain extent. Also, your doctor(s) may have failed to mention that the severity of borderline personality disorders tends to decrease with age. If I recall correctly, studies have shown that borderline personality disorder tends to become more manageable when someone is in their 40s. So to say that there's no hope is completely inaccurate. You may be facing a long and difficult road, but things don't have to remain as they are. You can make some improvements now, and you can look forward to the future. With age and experience, you can reduce the negative effects of borderline personality disorder. Be persistent and get the services you need in order to fight this!

Ah ok now i see with more clarity we were discussing family which is why he suggested a close community as a form of surrogat family to help with the symptoms. I agree the dark days seem to come thick and fast but thank you for letting me know that it isnt as bad as he said it is Thank you

Closed Thread