TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lauren

Paranoid and sleeping problems? - May 30th 2012, 08:10 PM

I've been having this feeling like someone's watching me but only when I'm alone. Like if it's late and I'm the only one up or if I'm home alone. I start freaking out in my mind and I feel like I'm going crazy. I even check places to make sure no one's there, like the closets and stuff. I kept thinking about it when I was laying in bed. I went to bed at 11 pm and woke up at midnight, fell back asleep then woke up again at 4 am and it was off and on until about 6 am. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-GoLauren

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - May 30th 2012, 09:01 PM

I think we all have gotton that at times ecpecially at night because its so dark and quiet. I have at times literaly had my self scared to death my heart racing because I didnt relize my dog was there and I ran into her at night time when I couldnt see her. I think its normal to be a little parnoid at night because night time is just a lot scarier because its dark.

I have at times woken up from nightmares and so scared that some one is in my room but in realtiy there is no one and I am safe and okay.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - May 30th 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
I think we all have gotton that at times ecpecially at night because its so dark and quiet. I have at times literaly had my self scared to death my heart racing because I didnt relize my dog was there and I ran into her at night time when I couldnt see her. I think its normal to be a little parnoid at night because night time is just a lot scarier because its dark.

I have at times woken up from nightmares and so scared that some one is in my room but in realtiy there is no one and I am safe and okay.
It happens during the day too. I didn't have any nightmares I just couldn't stay asleep. I woke up exhausted.

-GoLauren

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - May 30th 2012, 11:46 PM

Its normal dont worry. Im not saying it only happens when I have night mares. Funny you mention during the day because today I was home alone and I kept looking over my shoulder because I heard stuff . ITS COMPLETLY NORMAL WE ALL GET PARNOID AT TIMES. Manily because we see bad stuff happening all the time on the news it affects us.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - June 1st 2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Its normal dont worry. Im not saying it only happens when I have night mares. Funny you mention during the day because today I was home alone and I kept looking over my shoulder because I heard stuff . ITS COMPLETLY NORMAL WE ALL GET PARNOID AT TIMES. Manily because we see bad stuff happening all the time on the news it affects us.
I didn't have any nightmares that night. Or dreams. I just couldn't stay asleep! It sucked. But a couple days ago I was freaking out in my head because I thought someone was in the house.

-GoLauren

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - June 1st 2012, 06:28 AM

Okay Im sorry. I still say its completly normal. Im sorry if your looking for me to jump to a conclusion of a mental illness. Im not going to because mainly it seems a lot of people on this site think one little thing wrong with them or something and they want it to be some sort of mental illness. When its not. Im not saying all the time Im just saying sometimes.

Your pefectly fine I can tell you that you are okay. Every one gets parnoid at times ask any teenager that has been home alone and thought some one was in the house. Even when your not home alone it happens we are human we get scared we get parnoid.

Im sorry your having sleeping problems. Not taking naps during the day can help you sleep better if you take naps. Or you could try a warm bath before bed or drinking milk before bed or listning to calming music. Make sure all the lights are off when you go to bed because any light can disturb your sleep. Hope you feel better.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - June 1st 2012, 11:03 AM

Ya I have a similar problem. For me I am afraid at night and during the day even when I am with someone else but it is worse when I am alone. A couple months ago my fiance had a job where he worked midnight's and I slept about an hour all night long. I lay in bed all night with tons of blankets and the light on and jumped at every little noise and was too afraid to leave the bed. On some weekends we work at night cleaning garbage in parking lots when we go to the car to drive to work I have to check the backseat and the trunk to make sure nobody is there and I can't be alone or I panic. I am always afraid someone or something is in the house even though I no for sure there isn't. Every night when I go to bed my fiance has to be holding me or I don't feel safe and no matter how hot it is I have to have a blanket and then it always takes me an hour or two to fall asleep. I am not really sure the reason why we get so afraid and paranoid but it may be a good idea to try and find out why and maybe get some help with that if needed. I never used to be this way it started a few years ago and has gotten worse and worse and I have no idea what caused it. Whatever Is happening I need to put a stop to because it can rule and limit your life if you let it go too far. I don't think it's exactly normal because there are a lot of people out there that don't get afraid at all or to this extent. I don't think you have a mental illness but I do think you may have a problem. Maybe talking to a counselor about this could help you figure out why you feel this way and maybe figure out some things you could try to stop/prevent it. Not everybody who goes to counselling is mentally ill.

Last edited by Squiggly; June 1st 2012 at 11:15 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
golauren Offline
Not a n00b

June 2nd 2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Okay Im sorry. I still say its completly normal. Im sorry if your looking for me to jump to a conclusion of a mental illness. Im not going to because mainly it seems a lot of people on this site think one little thing wrong with them or something and they want it to be some sort of mental illness. When its not. Im not saying all the time Im just saying sometimes.

Your pefectly fine I can tell you that you are okay. Every one gets parnoid at times ask any teenager that has been home alone and thought some one was in the house. Even when your not home alone it happens we are human we get scared we get parnoid.

Im sorry your having sleeping problems. Not taking naps during the day can help you sleep better if you take naps. Or you could try a warm bath before bed or drinking milk before bed or listning to calming music. Make sure all the lights are off when you go to bed because any light can disturb your sleep. Hope you feel better.
I'm not wanting it to be a mental illness, TRUST ME. I'm making sure it's normal sometimes. And I don't take naps. I think I have sleeping problems because I have a terrible diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggly View Post
Ya I have a similar problem. For me I am afraid at night and during the day even when I am with someone else but it is worse when I am alone. A couple months ago my fiance had a job where he worked midnight's and I slept about an hour all night long. I lay in bed all night with tons of blankets and the light on and jumped at every little noise and was too afraid to leave the bed. On some weekends we work at night cleaning garbage in parking lots when we go to the car to drive to work I have to check the backseat and the trunk to make sure nobody is there and I can't be alone or I panic. I am always afraid someone or something is in the house even though I no for sure there isn't. Every night when I go to bed my fiance has to be holding me or I don't feel safe and no matter how hot it is I have to have a blanket and then it always takes me an hour or two to fall asleep. I am not really sure the reason why we get so afraid and paranoid but it may be a good idea to try and find out why and maybe get some help with that if needed. I never used to be this way it started a few years ago and has gotten worse and worse and I have no idea what caused it. Whatever Is happening I need to put a stop to because it can rule and limit your life if you let it go too far. I don't think it's exactly normal because there are a lot of people out there that don't get afraid at all or to this extent. I don't think you have a mental illness but I do think you may have a problem. Maybe talking to a counselor about this could help you figure out why you feel this way and maybe figure out some things you could try to stop/prevent it. Not everybody who goes to counselling is mentally ill.
I'm sorry to hear that. That must suck. I know it's not a mental illness, but I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. And I don't see a counselor or therapist.

-GoLauren

Last edited by PSY; June 3rd 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Paranoid and sleeping problems? - June 5th 2012, 04:55 AM

I do the same except mines a little weirder...when I walk into a room I immediately think of an escape route, I always look at people and analyze them to see if they could be a threat. My friends notice that at the mall I am constantly looking over my back and staring at people. I'm not claustrophobic or anything like that. My doctor says I have hyperactive reflexes so idk if that might be a reason, like maybe my body is just always on the look out, but people joke around and say I'm a spy or something by the way I act...

Closed Thread