TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Babycakes Offline
ForeverAlone<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aiden

Anger issues - June 3rd 2012, 10:52 PM

I'm opening this thread because I have some major anger issues. I suffer depression, anxiety and apparently really bad anger and frustration. The other night, I was out with my parents and my dad started screaming at my mom for no apparent reason, I got very mad, to an uncontrollable point. I was literally about to start pounding on my dad when I tried to console my anger and got out of the car, I tried breathing heavily, counting down from 100, tried thinking about happy things, but everything just made me more mad. I then released my anger, and just so happened to sink my fist through a shop window, shattering the entire thing. My fist was very very bloody, I probably lost tons of blood, so I walked to the hospital and got patched up. I'm just wondering if there's any way to control my anger, because I pretty much blacked out when that happened. I could've been seriously injured, luckily I only got a few deep cuts on my knuckles and fingers. My anger has been getting in the way of lots of things, and it's getting to the point where I need some more options rather than just trying to control it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Anger issues - June 3rd 2012, 11:42 PM

You might try seeing a therapist that specializes in mood disorders, or you could go to Anger Management classes.
Hope i helped.
:3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Babycakes Offline
ForeverAlone<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarkMagicx View Post
You might try seeing a therapist that specializes in mood disorders, or you could go to Anger Management classes.
Hope i helped.
:3
I've been seeing a psychiatrist, and told him about my anger, he didn't really suggest anything though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 12:07 AM

That''s weird :O

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 02:24 AM

Do you have any way to physically release your anger without breaking windows or hitting people, such as a punching bag? You could also look into martial arts that use knock-down sparring rules (i.e. full-contact), however, I should warn you that swinging your arms wildly without regard for your sparring partner could get you thrown out. If you're sparring a higher-belt student, you may end up getting one hell of a beating. There's plenty of styles to choose from, although I'm biased in that the one I study is kyukoshin karate. I'm not sure if a video would get taken down, so search on Youtube and you'll see what it's like. Some places will use gloves and shin pads, others won't. I find it to be an excellent way to relax, diffuse any anger and have fun at the same time.

An alternative would be to create a schedule detailing the time, place and event that resulted in you getting angry. Additionally, write down on a scale of 1 to 10 how angry you felt, what you wanted to do and what you ended up doing. Perhaps there will be common events, which your psychotherapist can help address. Most psychotherapists will provide such tables for you but if your current psychotherapist did nothing, then it's time for you to do something. Just to be clear, are you seeing a psychiatrist only, psychotherapist only or both?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Babycakes Offline
ForeverAlone<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Do you have any way to physically release your anger without breaking windows or hitting people, such as a punching bag? You could also look into martial arts that use knock-down sparring rules (i.e. full-contact), however, I should warn you that swinging your arms wildly without regard for your sparring partner could get you thrown out. If you're sparring a higher-belt student, you may end up getting one hell of a beating. There's plenty of styles to choose from, although I'm biased in that the one I study is kyukoshin karate. I'm not sure if a video would get taken down, so search on Youtube and you'll see what it's like. Some places will use gloves and shin pads, others won't. I find it to be an excellent way to relax, diffuse any anger and have fun at the same time.

An alternative would be to create a schedule detailing the time, place and event that resulted in you getting angry. Additionally, write down on a scale of 1 to 10 how angry you felt, what you wanted to do and what you ended up doing. Perhaps there will be common events, which your psychotherapist can help address. Most psychotherapists will provide such tables for you but if your current psychotherapist did nothing, then it's time for you to do something. Just to be clear, are you seeing a psychiatrist only, psychotherapist only or both?
I took kickboxing for around 3 years, can't say it really helped with my anger. Seems I'm angry at the wrong times. I do however have a punching bag, but that couldn't have helped the situation, as I was out with family downtown. I'm only seeing a psychiatrist at the moment, but that's for my depression and anxiety, I spoke briefly with him about my anger, but I guess he didn't feel it was severe enough to act.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 04:24 AM

You cant expect every thing to be fixed with a med. There is some meds that help with anger as well as other stuff.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Babycakes Offline
ForeverAlone<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
You cant expect every thing to be fixed with a med. There is some meds that help with anger as well as other stuff.
I don't think I ever mentioned anything about meds. I am against taking meds for psychological problems. I'm wondering if anyone has any special techniques or any other options to calming yourself down.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Anger issues - June 4th 2012, 09:03 PM

Well you did say psychiatrist and they prescribe medss. Think before you act is always good to control anger. Count to 10 when your angry before you do any thing.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread