TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Question Moving out? - June 10th 2012, 09:24 PM

So I'm moving out of my nan's on the 22nd June and I'm a little worried about how I will cope on my own. For those of you who don't know me, I have depression, I self harm and I struggle with suicidal thoughts. I think one of the biggest things I will struggle with is battling against my urge to withdraw from the world and shut off when I should be reaching out. I'm sure many of you have been there, I was just wondering if you have any tips on what I can do when things get tough?

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Moving out? - June 10th 2012, 09:41 PM

One of the main things you can do is try to distract yourself when things get tough. When ever you get the urge to gut yourself, try to keep your hands distract by doing something that keeps your hands busy, like knitting playing an instrument or playing a sport. As for the depression and suicidal thoughts, whenever you get those, talk to someone to get your mind off of the depressing and suicidal thoughts.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Moving out? - June 11th 2012, 03:09 AM

Hey, maybe it would be worth organising to have friends and family come and visit you (or you visit them) in the first month or so of living in the new place? Especially if you're moving into independent accomodation where it's just you.

When I first moved out of home, I made sure I visited my family at least once a week, and hung out with friends daily. I was at uni at the time, so hanging out with friends was freely available as part of my routine, which really helped. Also at first I had no washing machine, so I needed to visit my Mum's in order to create clean clothes for myself. It was a hassle at the time, but looking back it was instrumental in preventing me from slipping in to my own little (dangerous) world.

As for the depression and suicidal thoughts, are you receiving any help for that at the moment? If you are, make use of every resource available to you during the transition period where you're adjusting to things. If you're not receiving some kind of assistance at the moment, then now is probably the time to get some. =]

But yeah, my main advice is to have pre-arranged visits from people you trust (close friends etc) until you feel stable in your new environment, and it might be worth continuing those visits once you're stable, just in case something goes pear shaped.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Moving out? - June 11th 2012, 10:35 PM

Hi lovely,

I think it's brill that you're taking that step and moving out and I think in the long run, you will really benefit from it. I know that right now it seems scary and is probably making you feel a bit on edge but I think that is normal. I know you know I might be moving out and I can kind of relate to how you are feeling.

I think the above users have suggested some pretty good things. Just remember to distract yourself when you feel bad. If you start to feel like you want to isloate yourself, do something to stop yourself from doing so like meeting a friend or going out for a walk or something. I know it takes motivation but you can do it if you set your mind too it.

I am really proud of you for taking this step, I think it's a great move and I honestly think it's going to help you in the long run. At the begining it might be hard but you'll get there and remember that you're not alone. When you do move out, if you need anyone, as a community we are always here but remember if you ever need me I'm here too. Just give me a ring or a text and I will try and support you as much as I can.

You can do this, keep fighting lovely.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; June 11th 2012 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread