TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
noellenicole Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I think I need professional help- but I don't know how to tell my mom. - June 12th 2012, 02:41 AM

I can tell that something is wrong with me, and I need someone to talk to. But I don't know how to tell my mom that I think I need to see a therapist, because then I'd have to tell her why I think that, and I can't tell her that... Help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I think I need professional help- but I don't know how to tell my mom. - June 12th 2012, 02:26 PM

If you are close to the age of 16 you can go without her permission because I did. That is in the US you didnt mention where you are from. Telling your parents can be hard.Your mom might get mad or upset but only because she is worried. Talking it out can be hard but if you can do that. My best advice to tell her through a note if you have issues bringing it up. It gives you a great chance to reread and revise it as many times as you want. For me it was helpful to already have the therapist because you could say well I have an appointment with a therapist on whatever at this time because I feel the need to talk to a professional. You don't have to say why but she will probably ask just out of concern. When I told my mom I didn't tell the truth I just said well my pastor thought I needed to find someone that can always be there see them more often and blah blah blah. She believed but eventually found the reason I was going and she was depressed afterwards. Be honest even if it is hard to tell because it can hurt her emotionally if she found you lied. Sorry if that wasnt helpful but best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
I've been here a while

Name: Lucy

Re: I think I need professional help- but I don't know how to tell my mom. - June 12th 2012, 03:36 PM

If it's too hard to talk to her, you could write a letter.
Maybe you could tell someone else before her? Sometimes it's easier to have someone with you.

I know it's difficult, but I know you can.
If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a PM.

Stay strong and take care
Lucy

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#4 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: I think I need professional help- but I don't know how to tell my mom. - June 12th 2012, 04:47 PM

I'm going through a similar situation... kinda. I suggest just saying that you need help, and show that you truelly do need it, but I don't believe you need to tell her. She can talk to whoever after the apointment and ask if you do need to continue treatment, but tell the psyciatrist or whoever not to tell your mom about anything. Then should be able to be in therapy, but not have to tell you mom about it. She'll worry though, and if you can i'd suggest you do so... but if not... you can do this.

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
Closed Thread