TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CaughtInMyHead Offline
DayDeaming my Life Away
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nicole

Question Withdrawn and Experiencing Derealization/Trippy Feeling? - June 15th 2012, 06:02 PM

Hi, I'm a sixteen year old girl and this has been a really awful problem for a while now. I know that I am an introvert, but it's gotten so bad that I self isolate myself and when I am around people I am so withdrawn. Everyone will be talking and I'm so in my head I can hardly focus, and it's even hard for me not to talk in a muffled tone or it's like I get very tired in the conversation and it's hard to keep my eyes open. The only thing that brings me out of this state is if I'm nervous around the people, if people are making me laugh a lot, or if by chance I'm feeling more social (doesn't happen that often). I've always been shy, but lately it's this feeling of being detached from everyone and it's like I'm all alone (that's how it feels).
Also, I get in these states where I feel really relaxed and it's like I can feel all the energy in and around me. My head will get heavy, my face gets tight, I feel like I'm sinking back in my head and I'm deep in my skull, and things start to look different. If I'm with people and this happens then normally it's just this feeling that I'm high, not good high, but scary high (I'm not on drugs though). If I'm alone then the room might look more cramped or that the room I'm in is suddenly the only room is the universe and if I left it there'd be nothing, or it will get steamy, or things just don't seem real. Then I start seeing faded, hardly visible neon colored lights. Like when you stare at a bright lamp then look away, but almost everywhere. Or it's like I can see the aura of everything in my bedroom. I usually feel this mildly for most of the day, but sometimes it's so bad I've even gone into a full blown panic attack because of it. I keep thinking I'm dying, I'm so uncomfortable most of the time and it's really scary.
All of this started after the first time I smoked weed, I only got stoned twice and stopped because the second time I had a weed induced panic attack and it was really horrific (but this was months ago and it's hard me to believe that the side affects would last this long). This also gets much worse when I meditate.
Any idea's on why this could be happening? What should I do?

Thanks

Nothing easy is worth doing, but easy would be nice every once in while.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Withdrawn and Experiencing Derealization/Trippy Feeling? - June 23rd 2012, 01:50 AM

I'd start with making an appointment to see your regular doctor/general practitioner. Rule out any medical conditions that could be causing all of these symptoms. After that, ask for a referral to a psychological professional. It's important that you see both a medical AND a psychological professional for these symptoms, because things like auras can be explained by a number of things (migraines, seizures, or an anxiety disorder). Don't be afraid to talk to your parents about all of this! I can tell this is scary for you, and it's going to be much more difficult if you try to do all of this on your own.

Closed Thread