TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

DBT - June 17th 2012, 05:56 PM

Anyone done it? Has it helped you? Following a suicide attempt last week, my therapist has asked me to decide whether or not I actually want/am able to continue with DBT. I've done emotion regulation and am most of the way through distress tolerance, so I'm nearly halfway through and I am using the skills that ehy're teaching us, but I can't see any improvement yet. In fact, over the past few week, I think my mood has gotten a lot worse (both depression and having unpredictable, extreme mood swings). I'm waiting for a referral to a psychiatrist to try and find some meds to help with the moods, so maybe once my meds are sorted out and I'm more stable, it will be easier for me to continue with the DBT? I dunno if I'm in the right place to do it at the moment, but I was on the waiting list for over a year and I don't want to set myself back by not carrying on with it. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: DBT - June 17th 2012, 06:04 PM

I never tried it but I may in the future. I heard it can be hard. I would stick with it because its not going to be easy no matter what its going to take work and effort. DBT or any kinda of therapy is not always supposed to be easy. Thats the point in doing DBT its supposed to teach you how to feel better. I would stick with it and at least try the best you can. Meds can help too get that all situated and Im sure you will be fine.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: DBT - June 17th 2012, 06:06 PM

Hi there Ella,

I had tweleve, three hour group sessions of DBT and I think the thing about DBT is you have to put in so much effort and hard work as well as learning how to use the techniques you use for it to actually be beneficial. So yes, If I were you, I would carry on because I had mine over a year ago and I still don't find it helpful all the time, because I am still learning it and working on how to use the techniques that I was taught. DBT can be hard to learn so it does take time and its going to take a lot of your time up out of the sessions you have.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: DBT - June 17th 2012, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try my hardest to stick with it. I desperately want to get better. I really hope my psychiatrist appointment coems through soon. I really think I need some different meds. I hope DBT can help me. I'm trying everything that they're throwing at me

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Butters Offline
Not a n00b

Re: DBT - June 18th 2012, 06:19 AM

Sometimes with such therapies it is hard to keep the motivation to put in the work needed, and in some cases, medication is needed to stabalise you so you can get the best from the therapy. While the therapy may not be helping right NOW don't give up on it. It may take time for you to be able to use the techneques or understand them but once you've learned how to do them and are in a more stable place, you will be able to put the methods into good use. Good luck

PS sorry for spelling mistakes, been up half the night

(#6 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: DBT - June 18th 2012, 05:39 PM

It's really up to you! It might be really benefitial for you and you may actually love to continue to do it.
You may see some improvement when it's over!

Best of luck.

Shelby

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: DBT - June 19th 2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I had group today and it went really well, I was able to focus for the first time in ages and I actually feel like some of this stuff is going to be able to make a difference. I'm definately going to continue. I'm seeing my individual therapist tomorrow so I'll tell her then. I've also been signed off work for a week (minimum) because of my depression and lack of sleep and anxity, so I feel like instead of sitting around waiting for myself to feel better, I can be really focussing on practising the DBT skills and then if nothing else, at least by the time I go back to work, I will be a bit better at the skills, which will help me cope with stuff.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: DBT - June 19th 2012, 10:35 PM

Thats great to hear, Keep up the good work sounds like your making progress.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread