TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
wallaby12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Help for Niece - June 23rd 2012, 11:33 AM

Hi guys,
My niece and I are very close in age.
She is in her final year at school. Recently she has lost her confidence and has developed depression.
She has final year exam anxiety.
She is normally sooooo strong.
A family close member has survived cancer (she was a rock). Now her best friend ran away from home and didn't confide in her (this situation involved police and my niece telling what she knew) so one shattered friendship
Her best male friend has now admitted he wants a relationship. She is not ready for one yet and told him so and that she only wanted to be friends so 2nd shattered firendship. Oh and her has been telling every one she is a bitch, sl*t and the like
I don't think anyone has ever "hated" her before.
I just want to help but I don't want to get up in her space.
HELP I hate to see her in tears all the time

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Help for Niece - June 23rd 2012, 03:42 PM

I am so sorry for the situation your niece is in now. Is your niece seeing/talking to a therapist/counsellor about this? All you can really do is be there for her and be her rock. Don't force her into asking her whats wrong. That would just make all her feeligns and depressed thoughts more deep inside her. When she's ready to talk to someone about her problems, she will tell you or someone else.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Help for Niece - June 23rd 2012, 04:55 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that your Niece is having a tough time right now. Just let her know that you're there for her if she wants to talk about how she is feeling and encourage her to talk. I wouldn't force her into telling you anything because it may make her feel worse if she is being forced to open up. Let her approach and talk to you about it if she wants to. It may take a bit of time for her to really open up so allow her to have this time and just make sure you're there if she wants to talk to you. Also, I'd suggest encouraging her to seek help from therapist or a counsellor if she hasn't already because it may help her more if she is talking to somebody out of her family and friendship network.

If you need support too, don't be afraid to ask. I hope things get better.

Take care,
Lex

Closed Thread