TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

What to Expect ... - July 22nd 2012, 03:04 PM

So ...
this friday I have an appointment with a pyschiatrist for an evaluation. I have NO idea what to expect. I have an Eating disorder (if that's relevant) and I think they're checkig for depression, OCD, and anxiety.
So what should I expect?
what kinda Questions will they ask
how long will it take?
will they ask the questions or give me some kinda on-paper test?
will they tell my parents everything?
will they suggest different treatment methods...

just anything about this is GREATLY appreciated! and please be as detailed as possible just so i can get a really good idea of what's gonna happen.

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: What to Expect ... - July 22nd 2012, 03:16 PM

I recently say a psychiatrist for the first time, although it was for depression and anxiety. I'll help you out as much as I can
what kinda Questions will they ask? In mine, he asked me about my family, relationships, mood, work, social life, self harm, and what I was looking for from seeing him.

how long will it take? Mine took around half an hour

will they ask the questions or give me some kinda on-paper test? My psychiatrist asked all the questions himself, although when I was first diagnosed with depression, I did have a paper questionaire to fill out.

will they tell my parents everything? I don't think they can tell your parents anything without your permission unless they think that you are a danger to yourself or anyone else (like if you were planning on comiting suicide, or your eating disorder was at a stage where you needed to be admitted into hospital)

will they suggest different treatment methods... They should do, I'm already doing talking therapy, but we discussed medication and other things I could do like cutting back on alcohol, taking my meds as prescribed etc

Sorry I couldn't be more precise. Basically, you'll get called into the psychiatrists office, they'll introduce themselves, possibly ask why you're coming to see them and what you think are the main problems. Due to the eating disorder, they may want to check out any physical symptoms. I hope some of this helps.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
........Hi
Not a n00b

Name: Veronique W.

Re: What to Expect ... - July 22nd 2012, 08:52 PM

what to expect? They usually just ask you some questions. They can tell your nervous by looking at your body language.

How long will it take? For me it took 30-45 mins.

What questions will they ask? They usually ask do you do any dangerous activities, what grade your in, what grades do you get, etc

Will they ask the questions or give me a test? It usually depends where your at and what they prefer. Mine just asked the questions.

Will they tell my parents everything? They will tell them if you need to be put on medication. They don't tell your parents what you told them without your consent or if your going to harm yourself or others.

Will they suggest different treatment methods? Medication, group therapy,, etc

Hope this will help

PM/Email me at ilovemusic10101@aol.com.
Just email me if you wanna chat or need any help.

Just take a chance and don't ever look back

Why do you hurt me and treat me like you do? What have I done to deserve this from you? Would you do the things you do if you were me and I were you?
  Send a message via AIM to xXForgive&ForgetXx  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What to Expect ... - July 24th 2012, 05:29 PM

So what should I expect?
It is ok to be nervous. They will ask questions and try to discover issues you might have.
what kinda Questions will they ask?
My first time I got asked things dealing with my home life, school, friends, grades, thoughts, and if I had any life changing events.
how long will it take?
30-45 minutes
will they ask the questions or give me some kinda on-paper test?
Mine was just questions
will they tell my parents everything?
They won't tell anything you say unless you or someone else is in danger from you or you need medication.
will they suggest different treatment methods...
I had a chance to take medication but didn't feel the need. They should give you options of medication if they feel it is needed, group therapy, individual therapy and so on.

Hope this helped...

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

Closed Thread