TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaliska Oldenquist

Good news! But I have some questions. - July 23rd 2012, 01:58 AM

After many topics on many sites, I have come up with a plan to get my mom to take me to the doctors. I am going to tell my mom to get me a bottle of melatoinin to help me sleep. Then I am going to ask her a few days later for my doctors number, because the pills don't work and I want to save her the trouble of making an appointment. I'll call and make the appointment myself.

But, I don't know what will happen. A long time ago, when I was like 16 I had asked about anxiety medication but they said no because I was 16 and they wanted me to see a counselor first.

I am 18 now and I have had my psychologist tell me that medication would be a good idea. If I explain to them what is going on with my anxiety that has been going on for years no matter what I do. Do you think they will give me something? I also have trouble sleeping, but I think that might be related to my anxiety.

I'm really worried that I won't be able to get it and that they will want me to talk to someone else first. Which I can't do. But now that I am an "Adult*" and almost 19, will they listen to me?

* In the eyes of most people I am an "Adult" but it just doesn't always seem like that in this world.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 23rd 2012, 02:28 AM

Since you're 18, it might just make the most sense to ask for your doctors number and make an appointment with minimal explanation to your mom. If you feel the need to hide it from her, you can say that since you're 18 you'd like to take responsibility for your own doctors appointments and can you please have the number?

Since your psychologist has suggested it, and you're 18 they might consider it more seriously. In a perfect world your doctor and psychologist would talk to each other about it, but that may or may not happen.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 23rd 2012, 02:55 AM

Well I only knew my psychologist because of school, so I'm not sure if they would talk or not. It's just easier to have a reason to get the number from my mom. Because she will ask and think there is something wrong with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower2009 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Whitney

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 23rd 2012, 03:55 AM

Tell her your friend is looking for a new doctor and you want to give her the number! I dont usually suggest "stretching the truth" to parents, but I know how they can be about certain subjects. My mom has always been like that!

Most anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medications are strongly cautioned for teenagers and young adults because they can make anxiety and depression worse and cause suidical thoughts (happened to me when I took an anti-anxiety). I would think that would be the only reason that your doctor would be opposed to it, and they may still want you to see a counselor to debate whether the medication would be worth the side effects. But if thats what it takes for you to get what you need then you should do it!
I wish I had a way to try medication again but thats not an option for me right now!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 23rd 2012, 06:13 PM

I'm hoping that they can just give me something to take the edge off, I'm sick of living like this. I have an appointment wendsday, Mom is already trying to talk me out of it because it's inconviante for her and she doesn't know that this has been going on my whole life.

Just being on a sleeping aid that lets me stay a tiny bit tired helps my anxiety because I'm too tired to freak out over stuff. But in school I'll just fall asleep.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 24th 2012, 01:16 PM

Honestly, I'm sure that your mom will get over it... you need this doctors appointment and it's perfectly okay for you to make it!

I'm glad that you have one for tomorrow, and I hope it goes well!

Good luck.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ementine Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Good news! But I have some questions. - July 24th 2012, 08:02 PM

I am going to make myself do what it takes to get medication, even if I have to walk across town to see another doctor.

Closed Thread