TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Question bring things up - August 8th 2012, 04:33 PM

So I have been seeing this counselor for maybe a month and a half. She blames me SH on my past and my mom hurting me. Everything is blamed on that but I don't feel that way. I am scared to let her know I hear voices and sometimes see things. I have a feeling she will just blame it on my mom. The last two people I saw said I should look into medication. How am I supposed to bring that up? I mean I personally know one of my old ones because I grew up with her daughter. We were talking about the things I hear and see and they are getting worse. She thinks I should take care of it and talk about but I have no idea how to even bring it up! When we talk in there I feel like I have to stay on the path we are going we never venture off of it. How can I do it without her doing anything about it?

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 05:45 PM

I don't think a "counselor" is qualified to properly help you in the areas of mental illness (as indicated by the voices and things you're seeing.) You need to seek a mental health professional who can advise treatment options and provide support. No offence to either you or her, but your counselor sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about and wouldn't have the training to properly diagnose your issues or determine the causing factors behind them. You need to see a psychiatrist, an actual doctor.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 06:56 PM

Okay, a counselor IS a mental health professional who IS qualified to help with mental illnesses and would be trained to diagnose disorders. I know because I'm studying to become one. Whether or not she's qualified to deal with visions and voices is another matter. If she isn't trained she will refer you to someone who is. This would probably end up being a psychiatirst. You'll need to see one anyway if you're considering medication becuase a counselor is not qualified to prescribe medication. Either way she can't help you at all if you don't tell her. Your sessions are for you so if you have something that you need to talk about bring it up whether it's relavent to where she wants to go or not. It might help to go in and say you have something imprtant that you need to talk to her about and then just put it out there. Unless she's brand new to the profession you probably aren't the first person to come to her with this and she will know what to do about it. She won't be able to "do nothing" because it's her job to help you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 07:01 PM

thanks! I if I see a psychiatirst will I have to see them everytime or continue with the counselor I am at? I hate going through the new people and I have been through so many..

feel free to PM me...

take it off and breathe

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 07:34 PM

It depends how your counselor wants to handle it. She could have you continue with her and see the psychiatrist only for medication or she could transfer you to the psychiatrist for all treatment. It depends what her procedure is and what she's trained to handle. Chances are you'll continue to see her and if she decided to transfer you over she'll talk to you about it first.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
Okay, a counselor IS a mental health professional who IS qualified to help with mental illnesses and would be trained to diagnose disorders.
The term counselor is pretty general and vague and could mean really anything since the OP didn't specify. Is it "one who provides counsel/advice" or a professional? We don't exactly know in this case. I've met plenty of regular individuals working at places like schools and churches who called themselves "counselors" when the only licenses they had were the ones they got at the local DMV.

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 09:01 PM

HEy, your counsellor can't read your mind, so you'll just have to tell her. Next time, just spit it as you have a sit Just tell her there is something you want to comment, and tell her. It's not a weird thing and she's not going to freak out or label you as crazy or anything, don't worry. But i really encourage you to mention it to her

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 09:05 PM

I think I have a way of saying it. In my head I feel I should say, " I had talked to my old counselor about the things I hear and see. She said to talk about it because it is getting worse. She thinks I need to look into medication." Hoping that will work.

feel free to PM me...

take it off and breathe

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Re: bring things up - August 8th 2012, 09:35 PM

That will work fine I know this is nerve wracking and awkward, but she's a professional and she isn't going to freak out or anything.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: bring things up - August 9th 2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Accident View Post
I think I have a way of saying it. In my head I feel I should say, " I had talked to my old counselor about the things I hear and see. She said to talk about it because it is getting worse. She thinks I need to look into medication." Hoping that will work.
I hope everything works out and you can get this all sorted soon.

Closed Thread