TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Question Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 9th 2012, 11:01 PM

Somebody accused me of being one earlier and it got me thinking.

*I get attached to people way, way too easily. For example, I talked to this girl for the first time on Friday after college - nothing more, nothing less. I haven't talked to her since and I've been thinking about her all weekend.*I'm socially very awkward yet at the same time have numerous superiority complexes. Technology's one, I'll often be screaming in my head if somebody asks a stupid PC-related question.
*I sometimes think that I'm destined to do something great and/or world changing.
*I see myself as spiritually superior to others, and constantly think about life/what it means to live etc.
*Insults really get me. Sometimes, I even think I've been insulted even when I haven't. They all equally hurt.
*I find interaction with adults (I'm 18, but still) much easier than interaction with people my age.
*Every now and then, I get freak thoughts regarding the existence of others. The best way to explain this would be to suggest that I perceive everybody else (only occasionally) as NPCs in my 'world'.
*I can be very manipulative and have caused trouble for others more times than I'd have liked, with hindsight. If I can get somebody to do something for me I will, more often than not.
*I'm extremely lazy.
*My moods are all over the place. I can be extremely motivated and up for it, then I can get all aimless and "what's the point?" next. Happy, sad, jealous, helpful, grumpy, peppy can all occur in the space of a day.
*I feel a compulsion to help everybody I can, even if they don't need it. After going over my own psych a little bit, I've arrived at the conclusion that this is down to a need/search for acceptance, and that I'll get that by pleasing others.
*I'm vain more often than not.
*I tend to 'read' people whenever I can and have actually developed a skill out of this. This one time, I met one of my friend's friends and gave a full analogy of their personality/habits/likes - just after meeting them, without them even talking - and it was eerily accurate. When I'm on a bus, I tend to do the same in my head with people who get on. Who are they? What are they like? What's their history?
*I tend to talk/text to much and develope obsessions easily (not just over people).

So yeah, that's what I'm like in a nutshell. I'm sure there's a lot I've missed out. What's wrong with me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 10th 2012, 06:27 AM

A narcissist is someone who displays an overly inflated, highly fragile ego to hide an incredibly small and weak ego or sense of self. They also strive for praise through some form, act as though they are correct about everything while others are always wrong (not including when they are actually correct), can be manipulative and hurtful. In psychiatry, the disorder for this would be Narcissistic Personality Disorder, however, other mental illnesses have narcissism as a lesser symptom as well. There are different types of narcissists and while there is some agreement among typologies, there isn't 100% consistency across clinicians and researchers.

Before I answer your question, I would like to pose one first. If someone (myself) says you are a narcissist, does it matter to you and why?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BillieRose88 Offline
Then I defy you, stars!
Average Joe

Name: Sofia

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 10th 2012, 07:16 AM

Most everything you said just now describes me perfectly... I've never thought about it in a narcissistic way though now I'm worried that I'm a narcissist :/ I hope you sort it out; for your sake and mine.

How about a kiss, Saumensh?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 10th 2012, 07:45 AM

A nasrcissist is usually in love with themself, and what you describes also fit me perfectly, but I hate my body and everything else so I have to say I highly doubt you are, probably some shit-faced person trying to throw the "larger" words around but has no idea what they are saying.

I myself know too many like that :/

Hope this helps,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 10th 2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
A narcissist is someone who displays an overly inflated, highly fragile ego to hide an incredibly small and weak ego or sense of self. They also strive for praise through some form, act as though they are correct about everything while others are always wrong (not including when they are actually correct), can be manipulative and hurtful. In psychiatry, the disorder for this would be Narcissistic Personality Disorder, however, other mental illnesses have narcissism as a lesser symptom as well. There are different types of narcissists and while there is some agreement among typologies, there isn't 100% consistency across clinicians and researchers.

Before I answer your question, I would like to pose one first. If someone (myself) says you are a narcissist, does it matter to you and why?
I was just curious as to what the term meant. I'd heard it before but never really bothered to look into it. This'll sound silly, but I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and was worrying that my mental health might start deteriorating as I get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope To Cope View Post
A nasrcissist is usually in love with themself, and what you describes also fit me perfectly, but I hate my body and everything else so I have to say I highly doubt you are, probably some shit-faced person trying to throw the "larger" words around but has no idea what they are saying.

I myself know too many like that :/

Hope this helps,
Jay.
I can guarantee I was 100% sober when posting this and that everything I mentioned in the OP is true.

As for hating your body, I do too, but it's one of the many things I forgot to put down! Many of the insults I mentioned are often concerning how I look.

Thanks to the two of you for the help, it seems as if I have nothing to worry about.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 13th 2012, 04:25 AM

The thing about personality disorders (like Narcissistic Personality Disorder) is that many of us possess some of the traits for those disorders - those traits just aren't as "severe" as they would be for someone with a PD, and they don't affect our lives in an overly negative way.

Notice how a lot of people in this thread said they possess similar traits. Does that make you all narcissists, in the clinical sense of the word? Chances are it doesn't, because what you're describing is pretty typical. Besides, a lot of the traits you described don't even relate to Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Congratulations - you're a human being, and as such, you can be selfish, prideful, and lazy (unless you want something badly enough to work for it). Is it something to be concerned about? Not unless those traits negatively affect your life in numerous areas (ex. you lose all your friends, or you can't keep a job because you don't like having a boss who's "superior" to you).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Asteria Polemoi Offline
Female Oddity
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 21st 2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Imperfection View Post
Somebody accused me of being one earlier and it got me thinking.

*I get attached to people way, way too easily. For example, I talked to this girl for the first time on Friday after college - nothing more, nothing less. I haven't talked to her since and I've been thinking about her all weekend.*I'm socially very awkward yet at the same time have numerous superiority complexes. Technology's one, I'll often be screaming in my head if somebody asks a stupid PC-related question.
*I sometimes think that I'm destined to do something great and/or world changing.
*I see myself as spiritually superior to others, and constantly think about life/what it means to live etc.
*Insults really get me. Sometimes, I even think I've been insulted even when I haven't. They all equally hurt.
*I find interaction with adults (I'm 18, but still) much easier than interaction with people my age.
*Every now and then, I get freak thoughts regarding the existence of others. The best way to explain this would be to suggest that I perceive everybody else (only occasionally) as NPCs in my 'world'.
*I can be very manipulative and have caused trouble for others more times than I'd have liked, with hindsight. If I can get somebody to do something for me I will, more often than not.
*I'm extremely lazy.
*My moods are all over the place. I can be extremely motivated and up for it, then I can get all aimless and "what's the point?" next. Happy, sad, jealous, helpful, grumpy, peppy can all occur in the space of a day.
*I feel a compulsion to help everybody I can, even if they don't need it. After going over my own psych a little bit, I've arrived at the conclusion that this is down to a need/search for acceptance, and that I'll get that by pleasing others.
*I'm vain more often than not.
*I tend to 'read' people whenever I can and have actually developed a skill out of this. This one time, I met one of my friend's friends and gave a full analogy of their personality/habits/likes - just after meeting them, without them even talking - and it was eerily accurate. When I'm on a bus, I tend to do the same in my head with people who get on. Who are they? What are they like? What's their history?
*I tend to talk/text to much and develope obsessions easily (not just over people).

So yeah, that's what I'm like in a nutshell. I'm sure there's a lot I've missed out. What's wrong with me?
You have some common characteristics, but I don't think you are. Usually narcissistic people aren't even worried about being narcissistic.

"You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it."

Feel free to message me anytime. I would love to talk with you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
ilyasviel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I a narcissist? If so, what does it mean? - September 21st 2012, 05:13 PM

We have a lot in common. Except this.

-I don't get attached to people or something easily and in a few cases I do get attached when it gets boring I usually regard them as garbage.
-I'm not fond of interacting with people (even adults)
adults tend to talk about their pasts or delusions and children mostly talk about garbage.
-I don't have the compulsion to help everybody. If it's not necessary or if it's boring I don't do it regardless of what.
-I don't tend to develop much obsession.
-I really don't care about insults most of the time I see more faults on people who insults me.

There is nothing wrong with you, in my opinion. People are generally manipulative it's just that some are not that concious about it. I think it'll only be a problem if you think it really is a problem.

Closed Thread