TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lucy

Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 10:34 AM

Hello everyone, you're all lovely.

I've got the diagnosis Schizophrenia. I'm afraid people will look at me in a different way.
I've been feeling okay for the past 3 months, but it's getting worse again.
I'm scared. I hate it. And I hate myself.

Is there others out there with the diagnosis? I feel so alone..

I hope you're all okay. I'm sorry I haven't been online lately, I haven't forgot you. I miss you all and I hope you're okay.

Big hug from Lucy.

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 11:26 AM

My flatmate has been struggling with schizophrenia since her early teens but only received an accurate diagnosis a year or so ago.

She's absolutely lovely, and if you met her on the street, you wouldn't have a clue. Remember, as with all mental illnesses, except where there is a legal obligation, you don't have to disclose it to anybody. Who you tell is up to you, and those you choose to tell, shouldn't judge you. If they do, then they aren't worth your time basically.

I know schizophrenia is a difficult illness to live with, but it doesn't make you any less of a person. You can still be you. This is just something on the side, like the salsa to improve the chips. Make the most of your differing perception of the world where possible, and don't let the label change who you are.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 12:18 PM

I have schizoaffective disorder, which is a form of schizophrenia that also involves a mood aspect.
Like Jess said, you don't have to tell anybody about it and chances are that most people won't even know something is up. Most people just think I'm a bit strange . Having schizophrenia is no different than having any other chronic illness, like epilepsy, when you're under stress things get worse so you should take your medication all the time but there's nothing actually wrong with you.
You just have a disease, and you're certainly not alone.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 01:13 PM

Hey there sweetie,
You know where I am, and you can always talk to me. I don't think your crazy, and I'm actually dating a schizophrenic right now
Are you medicated?
Hang in there. <3
~paula

EDIT:
I think having schizophrenia is like having any other sort of psycological issue/disorder.
Like, your not going to shout to the world if you have an eating disorder, or cut, or were sexually abused, etc. So, I would just tell anyone your comfortable with or close too.
Again, you know where I am.

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

Last edited by escape♥; September 28th 2012 at 06:19 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 04:23 PM

Hey there,

I don't have schizophrenia and I don;t know anyone who does, but I Wanted to say I don't see you any differently and neither should others. Chances are some people probably will. A lot of people judge mental illness if they're uneducated about what it is, for example in my psychology class when we're learning about mental disorders, the misconceptions are shouted out in their dozens! What you need to remember is that, yes, it's going to be difficult to live with, but it's possible and you can deal with it. I mean, every day life will probably be effected by the symptoms of the illness, and chances are people will see you differently at first, but education is key! Those who are worth your time will see you as a person with a disorder, not as a disorder taking over a person. Don't be afraid to tell people about it if they don't understand, and more importantly, don't be afraid to be yourself nonetheless. You are still a person and having schizophrenia doesn't define you.

Now you have the diagnosis, chances are treatment will follow that, so at least you'll have some support with coping with the disorder. If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm just a message away.

Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Schizophrenia - September 28th 2012, 05:52 PM

I am and just a thing you never have to tell anyone you dont want to. It like when you have an embarrassing rash you dont have to post it everywhere on facebook or yell it to the world. I struggled with the fact someone might find out and tell the world and I would be treated like a handicapped person or lose all my friends. Who I did tell was the one person I knew I could trust best because no matter what it was he was always there. He was my pastor and helped me through many trials with it. Hang in there if you ever need to talk PM me and also I would say if it gets to a point that you cant handle it medication is actually a great thing even though its scary at first. I am off my medication due to a pregnancy but it has been a great thing fo rme. Good Luck with everything!!

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Schizophrenia - October 1st 2012, 05:08 AM

I'm borderline schizophrenic but I'm sure I actually do have it. You're no different even with a diagnosis. It is your decision to tell people but you can also keep it hidden from others.

Good luck,
Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Schizophrenia - October 3rd 2012, 03:23 PM

Thank you all for your answers, it means a lot.
I'm on medication, but the paranoia makes it hard to take it, because I'm afraid it's been poisoned by the evil people, who are after me. It's a living nightmare, but it doesn't make it any different that I got the diagnosis. I've always felt like this, it's nothing new.
I think I just have to learn to accept it, but it's so difficult when you can't tell what's real and what isn't.

But I'm getting help, and that's the importnant thing.

Hugs from Lucy

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Life17 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Schizophrenia - October 5th 2012, 09:28 PM

Ive been diagnosed with schizophrenia and yes it can be a nightmare sometimes. Ive been in and out of hospitals because I would go off my meds beacause I would think that they were poisoning my organisms and giving the goverment the chance to still the other half of my brain. I hate having the delusions and hallucinations. But it helps to have someone that will suport you. I would tell you that Electric Convelsive Therapy (shock treatment) really help me to the point were I dont have to take meds. You should know know matter what someone cares and will support you just have to find that person.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Schizophrenia - October 14th 2012, 06:56 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds awful. Stay strong, sweety.

I feel that way too. Sometimes I can't take my meds because I'm afraid it's poison, and when I'm outside I can't open my mouth because people will get into my head and steal and read my thoughts, it's awful.

Hugs from Lucy

Closed Thread