TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Talking to objects ? - October 6th 2012, 10:19 PM

Okay I'm not sure if this in the right place, but I have noticed myself literally talking to objects - like just now there was an advert on TV for something and it was one of those ones that asked questions through the advert and I found myself quite literally talking out loud to the TV/ TV advert. I've been doing it a-lot recently, I did it on the train the other day - my phone wouldn't do something and I just said out loud 'no you silly phone stop it' and the people in the same carriage just looked at me and pulled a face as though they were thinking weirdo. I also find myself talking to my laptop. Is this normal and does anyone else do this ? I mostly do it if I'm watching TV or watching something on youtube and if its one of those videos on youtube where it asks questions I will find myself talking to the youtube videos too. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal....

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 954383 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 6th 2012, 11:16 PM

Hey Lyd

I find myself doing this all the time! i personally don't think it's anything to worry about. I find it quite normal. However, if you still feel otherwise, I suggest you see your doctor to talk about it. But like I said, I don't think there's anything to worry about

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 02:09 AM

hey there,
I do it a lot myself to, often enough I'd find myself even talking to myself on the way to school (when I didn't walk with my neighbour). I think it's triggered when you're lonely or when you believe it is asking you. Or, when an inanaimte object won't do what you want you would tell it to work.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BillieRose88 Offline
Then I defy you, stars!
Average Joe

Name: Sofia

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 03:43 AM

That's totally normal! I now a lot of people that do it and I do it myself You're fine.

How about a kiss, Saumensh?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 08:38 AM

I knew that talking to myself was normal but I was not sure if it would be the same for objects as objects cannot reply but you can have a conversation with yourself.

Videos team

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 11:50 AM

Lyd.

I wouldn't worry. It was only yesterday I spoke to my straw in my ribena carton asking it why the hell it had a hole in it and this morning when I asked the wash power why it had fallen out of the washing machine! I think it's normal but if you're worried, talk to your doctor (I know you have one you like to see inpaticular) But I honestly think it's normal.

Jessie

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
jani Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 01:00 PM

i always talk to my phone when it is not working. in english! even if it's not 'my' language DD don't wory almost everybody does that it's normal ;-)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 02:33 PM

Talking to objects is perfectly normal. It is when the objects start talking back that you should start worrying.

All in the name of adrenalin

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 7th 2012, 10:37 PM

I might discuss it with my counsellor from IAPT when I see them for the first time in my first appointment I have with them coming up in about 2 weeks time and see what they say. I don't know if it does mean anything but tonight well more just now I have been playing one of those fast paced video games and in the parts of the game that I find stressful to do I have found myself talking to the character on the computer game and telling the character to run so I'm wondering if this talking to objects is stressed induced as such ?

Videos team

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 8th 2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgia View Post
I might discuss it with my counsellor from IAPT when I see them for the first time in my first appointment I have with them coming up in about 2 weeks time and see what they say. I don't know if it does mean anything but tonight well more just now I have been playing one of those fast paced video games and in the parts of the game that I find stressful to do I have found myself talking to the character on the computer game and telling the character to run so I'm wondering if this talking to objects is stressed induced as such ?
Like I've already said Lyd, I don't think this is anything abnormal or anything to worry about. I do the exact same thing and looking at other users replies, apparently do do many others.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 8th 2012, 02:49 PM

I know, I noticed someone at work talking to the cupboard today and telling the cupboard to just behave and keep the equipment inside it.

Videos team

(#12 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 10th 2012, 06:34 AM

Just to confirm what other members have already said, I talk to objects from time to time. I will tell my laptop that if it doesn't start working by the time I count to 10, I will shut it off. I will ask my car to please turn on and not give me any problems today. When I talk to objects, it's usually to blow off steam, because they're not functioning in the way I want them to. I know they aren't sentient beings (able to feel/think like a living being), and they don't talk back to me (if they did, I would be able to discern between what my mind is making up vs. what is actually real). Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It would be different if the TV started talking to you... but you talking to the TV, knowing it's just a TV (and not a living/breathing entity)? There's nothing wrong with that. =)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 02:24 PM

Since I've noticed myself doing it more and more I've noticed others talking to objects to even today in a shop the shop assistant said to the till 'come on you silly till open' And I just stood there smiling. I think everyone does it, maybe I just talk to objects a-lot more than others but it seems that it's normal.

Videos team

(#14 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 07:26 PM

I spend my whole day talking to inanimate objects. Hell, I have a continuous monologue of my day going on because I'm generally at home all day every day on my own (thank god I finally got a job!) Sometimes I'll even start randomly telling stories about things that have happened to me. It's normal enough, I have no one to talk to so I speak to random objects. Makes sense.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 08:04 PM

I'm yet to tell objects stories but I do talk to them and talk to myself, I have on occasion hugged my laptop when it doesn't work in the hope that hugging will make it work and whilst hugging it begged it to work..

Videos team

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 08:47 PM

I do this all of the time.
It is perfectly normal.
I think it helps because when we are stressed with an object we can yell at it, or say whatever we want to it without it lashing out back at us. Also I find if someone has spent, or spends a majority of time to themselves, we need that human interaction of asking, telling and/or disciplining things. When we do not get that interaction from other people, we get it from objects, except obviously they cannot respond and are just things to vent at.
I wouldn't worry about it.
I rather frequently yell at my technology to stop freezing, call it stupid, say it hates me and various other things.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 10:12 PM

I'm not worried about it any more I now know I'm not crazy talking to objects and that's its normal.

Videos team

(#18 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Talking to objects ? - October 11th 2012, 11:12 PM

Awesome! I'm glad we could help put your mind at ease. =)

Since the issue seems to be resolved, I'm going to close this thread, as the answers are becoming repetitive. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to have this thread re-opened!

Closed Thread