TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniel

I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 14th 2012, 04:48 PM

Ive had a... Turbulant last couple of months and ive been under the crisis team/initial response team but a couple of weeks ago they discahrged me with a final diagnoses with depression and a continued prescription for fluoxitine.

I was given no say and it came out of nowhere, visits did feel like we went in circles but i relied on the time to vent.

Also ive done research though they told me not to and im 100% positive i have borderline personality disorder i wasnt properly diagnosed.

Im thinking of bringing all of this up with my gp but im terrified she'll just think im overreacting or mistaken when i really am 100% sure.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 14th 2012, 04:52 PM

Hey there, MrDirector
Well, if you really do feel this way about it, then you should tell your GP.
Mostly so you can get the correct treatment. If you calmly talk to them about how you really seriously think you have something else, they will probably take it into consideration.
Hang in there.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 14th 2012, 05:26 PM

Thanks paula, the names Dan by the way. Thanks ive had so much negativety aimed at me by medical proffesionals that i forgot that they are primarily there to help.

One of the nurses that i saw from the crisis team really made me feel as though i was wasting her time but in the two weeks since i was discharged i can tell my mood and my anxiety especially have worsened alot.

I really dont think my meds are working either...i sound like such a self obsessed jerk im sorry but ive just been in a panic the last couple of weeks.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 14th 2012, 05:30 PM

Hey Dan
You don't sound self-obssesed, but I know the feeling.
Sometimes people forget that how they portray themselves and what not effect people. I'm sorry you feel this way, you should feel like you can turn to them in your time of need.
Maybe you could try talking to them about how you feel like a burden/waste of time and you think your meds aren't working?
I mean, if they're not working, your not getting better. And honestly, that's all anybody could ever want.

hang in there.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 14th 2012, 06:49 PM

Hey there! I've had clients where I felt like I was just going in circles. It's frustrating, but school taught me how to manage that countertransference in order to continue serving my clients effectively. It's a shame that the nurse wasn't able to do the same. Maybe she didn't have the authority to try different techniques with you, because someone else created the treatment plan. Regardless of what happened in the past, I encourage you to continue seeking help. If they see that you want to put in the effort, they'll usually meet you halfway, so you can work as a team. I like to think of therapy as a collaboration, so DO keep in mind that, while venting is great, it's not always going to be productive. At some point, you'll have to start doing the hard work, whether it's exploring the origins of your current condition, developing coping techniques, challenging distorted thinking, etc. Sometimes, merely showing up to a session is difficult. You're going to have good and bad days. As long as you continue to express a willingness to work, though, and as long as you're honest with yourself, I believe you'll be able to get to a much better state of mind with time. =)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 15th 2012, 08:46 AM

Hey there,

just be honest with them, they ARE there to help you of course. Good luck.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 15th 2012, 07:38 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a bad time. I am however glad you haven't been alone and that you have had help and support in place. Crisis teams are suppose to be for short term crisis intervention. Normally, they see you for at maximum around 6-10 weeks. I know I was seeing them for three months once but then another time I was only under than for about 2,3 days. They're not there to provide counselling etc. They're there to intervene when a person is severely struggling and they are support to put help in place afterwards in respects to long term help.

Are you sure they made a formal diagnoses? I know that most teams are made up of support workers and psychiatric nurses. Neither of these are able to have diagnosed you. Did you see a psychiatrist who diagnosed you? Sometimes it can take time for us to understand a diagnoses and to even accept it. If you have been diagnosed and feel the diagnoses is wrong, then talk the person who did diagnose you or your doctor. You might be completely wrong, you might be right. But you need to talk about it in order to know..

I have seen the crisis team several times. And it really does depend on who you see to what help you get. Some people are utterly useless. I know someone from the crisis team told my friend she was stupid for having suicidal thoughts. Quite literally and bluntly. I've had problems with some of them but then others can help. If you're not happy with the help you got, you can look into making a complaint too.

How long have you been on the medication for? Because they can take 8-12 weeks to work. If you have been on them for that long it might be that you need a higher dose or that this medication isn't the right one for you. Have you got any other help? Are you in a adult team to receive long term counselling or therapy? If not this is something I'd talk to with your doctor too. They will be able to refer you onto a mental health team for long term support.

Lastly, just because you have been discharged from the crisis team does not mean that if you ever feel unsafe, that you can't ring them. You should still be allowed to contact them in emergencies.

I hope this helps.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Last edited by Palmolive; October 15th 2012 at 07:46 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MrDirector Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 16th 2012, 10:10 PM

Thanks jessie i guess i havnt really given the medication that mich of a chance now that you put it like that and what you said about the crisis team helped too. They arent there for councelling and ive checked in with mind to see where i am on there waiting list.

I dont think i would make a complaint about the crisis team, they did help its just as soon as they heard id been refered to some kind of depression help team they discharged me. And the woman who discharged me had previously called me a spoilt kid. I think she was just trying to shock me though.

Heres hoping either mind or this other team get to me soon my anxiety is playing up like hell and i really just need someone to talk to

Thanks.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I feel as though theyve abandoned me - October 16th 2012, 10:24 PM

No need to thank I'm glad you've been in contact with mind. I've seen someone from Mind before and I'm back on the waiting list again now. The manager who did the assessment was lovely, in fact they're all lovely and I hope they are where you live too and that they help you get through what you are going through because you definitely deserve the help.

I am sorry about some of the comments the crisis team made to you. You didn't deserve it but I understand that you don't want to put in a complaint. I think its good you're open minded and thoughtful and that you can put it aside.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to contact me. And I hope all goes well (be sure to update us!). Feel free to reply in the thread if you have any further concerns or questions too. You're not alone.

Keep smiling. :- )
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread