TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

What could it be? - October 24th 2012, 07:13 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Sorry if this needs moving, I just thought this was the best place to post this, considering I don't really know the full problem. And I want to, I want to fix my life and stop feeling like this.

So, I'm going to start by explaining everything which I do/have done, and I'm going to tag this as triggering, just in case it is:
- [Edited].
- I'm obsessive with counting calories, getting weighed and looking at myself in the mirror (Though I usually cry/feel sick when I look at myself in the mirror).
- I cut, occasionally, though I prefer to carve words into my body.
- I sometimes start to cry for no apparent reason, and that usually leads into panic attacks.
- I went from being incredibly optimistic to being pessimistic about everything.
- I avoid social situations as much as I possibly can, because I feel like everyone is judging me and comparing me.
- When I'm out in public, I assume people are looking at me and thinking that I'm really fat.
- I binge a lot, and occasionally purge (only twice), but I usually just cry and try not to eat at all for the rest of the day.
- I constantly feel miserable.
- I occasionally feel suicidal, though I know I would never kill myself - I have moments where the urge comes and I want to die, but it's always very, very fleeting.
- I know, in reality, I'm far from it, but I feel like I'm the fattest in my group of friends, and all anyone I know notices about me is how fat I am.

There are probably more things which could go into the list of things which I've started doing within the last six months or so, but right now, that's all that I can think of. I'm just average sized, supposedly, but in my own opinion I'm incredibly fat. I've only purged twice, and I haven't ever gone a full day without eating, so. I don't know what it is. Body Dysmorphia? EDNOS? Depression, which is sort of hinting towards an ED? I don't know if anyone will have any idea, I just wondered if there was a chance anyone did. My parents don't get mental health problems, at all, and I don't really have any close friends anymore. I just needed to talk to someone, or at least get some advice/opinion.

Last edited by PSY; October 24th 2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Removed explicit description of self-harm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What could it be? - October 24th 2012, 08:42 PM

Hello, and welcome to TeenHelp! =)

Right now, I think the most important thing is to recognize there's a problem. Giving the problem a name/label can come later, whether it's BDD, EDNOS, depression, anxiety, etc. I encourage you to take the next step (the first was admitting things need to change) and seek help. A psychological professional can do a great deal more for you than we can. You can learn how to process these negative feelings and cope in more effective ways. Receiving a diagnosis could also allow you to receive medication, which may be helpful if the depression/anxiety is caused by chemical imbalances in your brain.

Since your parents may not be very understanding of mental health issues, I would start off by asking to see your regular doctor. During that appointment, you could show him/her the cuts/carved words and ask for a referral to a psychological professional. Your parents will be able to see how the self-harm and disordered eating in particular have a PHYSICAL effect on your body, and making the connection between the physical and PSYCHOLOGICAL effects will be easier to do with a doctor's support.

Closed Thread