TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Thumbs down I think I have a problem - October 26th 2012, 09:08 PM

I have had this problem for years, and although many of you may consider it a 'minor' problem or a silly, goofy, problem, I really can't help it.

There will be times where I will get these uncontrollable bouts of laughter and it is almost impossible for me to stop until it is all out. Some good examples of when this laughter occurs:

-When I am in class or some where quiet and I think of something funny, or something unexpected happens that catches me by surprise, I will start getting this laughter and it is very hard to stop. I think trying to stifle the laughter only makes me laugh harder. Also, if everyone chuckles at it, I am usually the one left laughing at it for way longer than everyone else. Even if I try to stop, I will still have small outbursts and try to cut it short, which usually takes a few attempts to do.

-When I am with my one friend Will, me and him laugh at the stupidest stuff, and I don't know why but he just makes me laugh so damn hard. Never met a kid funnier than him, but for instance, today in class me and him both missed 3 days of school and we had to make up notes while the rest of the class took a test. He got me going and I swear God was helping me because there were quite a few times I almost lost it. If I had lost it I think the teacher would have thrown me out of class and given me detention or worse. It was really bad, I honestly couldn't control it as much as I'd like to have.

-When I tell a funny joke I laugh way longer than everyone else and it instantly loses it's appeal.

-When someone else tells a funny joke or says something funny I laugh way harder at it than I should

-When I [i]try[i] to tell a funny joke or say something funny and I end up laughing uncontrollably and just blow the whole thing.

-When I am sitting in class and literally nothing funny happens but I think of something funny and I start silent laughing or even crack a grin or smile. I always hope no one watches me or sees me when this happens, because honestly they would probably think I'm off my rocker.

I really want some help with this, because I want people to take me more seriously. I can honestly be a really funny person if I don't blow the punch line or laugh at every thing people say every damn second.

Even when I try thinking bad thoughts or biting my cheeks or breathing heavier it still doesn't work. Has anyone ever had this experience before? I need advice please!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I think I have a problem - October 26th 2012, 10:48 PM

There's nothing wrong with you, it's just the way you laugh. Everyone is different and it just seems that you're a laughy kind of person.
You can try some of the tips on this site but other than that I can't really think of ways to really stop yourself from laughing when you feel something is funny.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: I think I have a problem - October 27th 2012, 01:03 AM

Hey there,

I can so understand where you're coming from on this one! For me, the main thing that really makes me laugh though is when I'm nervous for some reason. The biggest time that I would really start laughing is when I would be in a quiet classroom and everyone was supposed to be quiet. I noticed that I would get this urge to just start laughing really hard all because everyone was quiet. Do you think there is a chance that your laughing could stem from being nervous? For me, that was the biggest trigger. I would just start laughing at the most inappropriate times, all because something made me nervous.

I've also randomly laughed way too long at a joke and made everyone think something was wrong. Laughing so much at everything isn't always a bad thing. But I think depending on the cause of it, there are some ways to stop it. Here are a few examples and some ways I think you could try to stop the laughter.

In the case of laughing in a quiet classroom, try to think about other things and occupy your mind but try not to scold yourself for laughing or thinking something's funny. The bigger deal you make wanting to laugh or laughing, not only the bigger deal does everyone else make out of it, but it also makes you want to laugh at everything harder. So you can help try to keep it under control by keeping the mental mind set that it's okay to laugh. Then think about something else and try to focus. If you notice your laughter getting too out of hand, I would ask to be excused from the room and go to the bathroom to take a breather. I would notice that stepping away from the situation that was making me want to laugh really helped a lot in the beginning until I learned how to have a better handle on the nervous laughter. So maybe that's something you could also try.

For laughing too much at a joke, another good trick would be just thinking about something different if you can. Sometimes this can make things worse but it depends. Really for most of these situations, it's trial and error to see what works best for you. For me, walking away from the situation helped a lot in the beginning. And then at some point, I started learning how to keep myself calm and stop laughing when I couldn't run away from the situation. So it depends on you. I hope these ideas were helpful to you in some way. Good luck! You're more than welcome to PM me if you ever want to talk about this further.

~ Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brillyx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I think I have a problem - October 27th 2012, 04:10 AM

Inspire, I've already read the page believe it or not lol, but thanks anyways. Maybe I will try reinforcing some of those techniques.

HisPrincess, thanks so much for the detailed post. I think I will try your technique of keeping my mind busy while laughing, and also I think the laughter does come out of nervousness or anxiety.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Smile Re: I think I have a problem - October 27th 2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillyx View Post
HisPrincess, thanks so much for the detailed post. I think I will try your technique of keeping my mind busy while laughing, and also I think the laughter does come out of nervousness or anxiety.
You're very welcome! I'm really glad I was able to give you some ideas. I know it was so frustrating to have all that nervous laughter but have no idea what to do with it! You're always more than welcome to ever PM me if you need me. Good luck!

~ Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

Closed Thread