TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zemie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

bad nightmares and scared to sleep - November 8th 2012, 01:03 AM

Lately I have been having really bad nightmares, I had a really bad one last night and I've been scared of falling asleep.
The nightmares are all pretty similar, the first one I had when it started a month or so ago I was dreaming that I was awake and just lying in my bed trying to fall asleep, and I thought I heard foot steps but dismissed them. Then suddenly it felt like something was crushing my back (I was sleeping on my chest) or trying to smother me, and I couldn't move or breath or scream. It really terrified me and I was so scared to sleep I stayed up really late for days.
I've had others where I felt something was holding down my head and crushing my ribs or the sheets were strangling me but I always feel like I'm awake when it's happening and I'm trying to scream for help but I can't.
Is this like abnormal for nightmares to be like that? Does it mean anything? How can I get over my fear?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: bad nightmares and scared to sleep - November 14th 2012, 02:55 AM

Nightmares can be caused by any number of things. What is your nighttime routine? When do you eat, what do you eat, what do you do (what TV shows/computer games/other activities), when do you go to sleep after eating/doing those activities (ex. 1 hour later), and finally, what do you think about right before you fall asleep?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: bad nightmares and scared to sleep - November 14th 2012, 04:04 AM

I've been in a similar position. Before you go to sleep, read a happy book or watch a happy movie, something that you really enjoy. I would read Harry Potter, because that's my favourite series. Then, while I was waiting to fall asleep, I'd think about that. Like, I'd wonder how Harry and Ginny's wedding was like, or how Neville was as a teacher, and I'd focus really hard on those happy things until I got to sleep.
Reoccurring dreams can also be a sign that something's off, like your subconscious is trying to tell you something about your personal life or your health. So that might be something to look into.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

Closed Thread