TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BillieRose88 Offline
Then I defy you, stars!
Average Joe

Name: Sofia

Synesthesia- Color. - November 13th 2012, 06:32 AM

So, for the people that don't know. Synesthesia basically means "senses merged" and recently I've found out that not everyone works like me.

I was in Math class the other day and question four of our mock test was written as:

"4. You have......"
And I commented to my friend that the letter beginning the question [Y] was the same color as the question number [4] and he just stared at me.

So, I think that the number four is yellow and so is the letter 'Y'. It's just a color. It does nothing, it's just there.
And apparently this doesn't happen to many other people. I took the official test online have been diagnosed with five different types of the disorder.
Every letter, number, day of the week, month and musical note has a color to me. I don't exactly know why but everyone seems to think that it's awesome except for me. It's a Mental Disorder. My mind is disordered and I don't like the sound of that. It's means that it is not properly functional and that upsets me quite a lot- to be honest.

And apparently I am very young to realise that I have to disorder at the age I am.

Does anyone else do something similar? It works with all kinds of things; smell - taste, sight- sound, chinese symbals- color... Anything like that I guess. Or do you know someone like this?

..... Is it something to feel bad about?

I'm sorry that this makes not very much sense but thank you so much if you've bothered to read this at all.

And because I'm bad at explaining, if you want, you can read this to understand what this is and stuffs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphem...or_synesthesia

How about a kiss, Saumensh?

Last edited by BillieRose88; November 13th 2012 at 11:21 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 13th 2012, 06:52 PM

Hey Erin, this is not something you should feel bad about, even if it's considered officially as a disorder, this isn't a "bad" one to have and it's more like a unique trait. Your mind works differently, but that doesn't mean there's something "wrong" with you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 13th 2012, 08:34 PM

I get what you mean. Wednesday is yellow, Thursday is green and Monday is red to me. The number 1 is also red. I've thought that ever since I was a child and never understood it until I found out about synesthesia. They're the only words/numbers I associate with colours though.

If I see the word Monday in green it looks really odd

Don't feel bad about it, it's who you are I think it's pretty awesome Most people with synesthesia are creative.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
blurryface Offline
|-/
Senior TeenHelper

Name: anathema

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 14th 2012, 01:09 AM

This is definitely not something you should feel bad about. I have sound->color synesthesia, so just sounds (i.e., music and most voices) have colors to me. I've had it my whole life and obviously I'm very proud of it (: if you ever have any questions or just want to talk to someone who understands, feel free to PM me anytime, I'd love to talk to you (:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 14th 2012, 04:48 PM

It’s not really the merging of senses; I think that would cause confusion about its true nature. It’s more like a perception that triggers an abnormal response. The most common form of this is hearing colors and tasting colors.

You said you took an “official” test online? But, there is no official way to be diagnosed online. You would have to get that diagnosis from a medical professional in person. Which I highly suggest that you do, getting an official diagnosis will be very beneficial to you, particularly for your education. If they find you struggling because of this disorder they can create some learning plans for you to succeed.

It’s definitely not something to feel bad about. It must be really cool to perceive the world in a different way and you should be happy about your uniqueness! But, I must urge you go and talk to your doctor about this.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Always Smile Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 14th 2012, 11:35 PM

I have something similiar, but instead of colors I imagine each month and day of the week in a certain position :P I can't explain it very well, but every single time I think or hear someone talking about this month or day I just imagine it there (it's like a clock for the months and the days of the week are all in a line and the weekend is on top ahah But the truth is I actually enjoy this.
I know it's quite strange but I don't think you should be worried about this. This is a unique thing about you

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 15th 2012, 01:27 AM

Lizzie is right, online tests are never accurate so you should always take them with a grain of salt. Plus, its not really a mental disorder in the traditional sense, its just your brain perceiving things differently rather than an actual disorder. A disorder can be defined as something not working the way it should, so in this case its not necessarily that your brain isn't working right, its just working differently.
I also have color synesthesia. We learned about it in my psychology class and its actually pretty common among people to have a least some form of it.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Francois Offline
Average Joe

Name: Francois

Re: Synesthesia- Color. - November 19th 2012, 07:51 PM

Different? Yes. Disorder? No.

You can label mental prowess as a disorder. In fact, most highly intelligent people are labeled as having some kind of disorder. My IQ is 155, and my GPA is 92%. I've been diagnosed with ADHD, Bi-Polar, Aspergers, Schizophrenia, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, you name it. All this because I tend to find logical errors in large parts of my school work, cannot socialize with people who aren't highly intelligent because the moment I start to talk about the things that interest me and that intrigue me, people look at me like I came from outer space, because I get bored when a task is meaningless and unproductive, because I see things in a different way, because I can think in four dimensions in stead of only three, because I am not afraid to voice my opinion on a matter, and above all, because I see myself as equal to all, and that age or social status doesn't matter to me. Some see me as disrespectful when I correct someone who is either older than me, in a more 'important' position to me, or my 'superior' in some arbitrary social construct. Now they put me in some category, and label me with some mental disorder.

Oh, and I also have synesthesia, but not in the way you describe. I tend to feel sound, and I can visualize soundscapes.

All in the name of adrenalin

Closed Thread