TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MrsVanessa16 Offline
Loooooove
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: JENNY

Question Sleeping Problems and nightmares - November 23rd 2012, 04:15 PM

I would like some advice on how to sleep better and get rid of bad nightmares, thanks in advance for any help or info

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - November 24th 2012, 07:08 AM

Hey there, I'm going to move your thread to Mental Health since I think you'll get much more relevant replies there.

Have you tried going to a doctor about your sleeping problems? I personally use melatonin for my trouble sleeping which you can find over the counter, it works very well for me, but you may want to see a doctor first before trying anything right off.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MrsVanessa16 Offline
Loooooove
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - November 24th 2012, 07:00 PM

Okay, and well i don't really like talking to my parents about my problems so i don't think i'll be able to go to a doctor without them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - November 24th 2012, 08:14 PM

Hi there.

I'm sorry that you're having problems with sleeping. Is it that you wake up a lot through out the night or are you struggling to get to sleep in the first place?

So here are some idea's I have that you might find helpful:
  • Have a routine - Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning. Of course you can give an hour or so extra at the weekends, for example.
  • Make sure your bedroom is a comfortable temprature for you
  • Make sure your room isn't too light or noisy
  • Relax before bed - Have a bath maybe? Don't do work late at night and try to avoid heated debates/arguments
  • Stay away from your laptop/computer at night. The light can act as articifial light making your brain think its day time and therefore you don't need to sleep
  • Stay away from complicated books that get your mind working and active
  • Avoid emotional music that has meaning to you which could make you feel low or upset.
  • Avoid caffeine in the evening ie chocolate, coffee, energy drinks etc
  • Don't smoke nicotine at night
  • Make sure the colour of your room isn't too bright
  • Exercise in the day time.
  • Improve your sleep hygiene
  • Aromatherapy
  • Avoid alcohol at night
  • Try deep breathing, relaxation or something like yoga
  • Avoid worries - you can keep a notepad by your bed so if you wake up worrying about something or think of something that needs to be done, write it down and leave it until the next day.

Some people find things such as drinking herbal tea at night helpful or taking something like lemon balm (you can put this into tea too!)

And like Traci said above, medications can help sleep and melatonin is one of them. I've been on several sleeping meds but it was getting to a point where they were just being upped and upped and my psych started using an unlicensed amount but then my doctor took me of it because it was a dangerous dose and it wasn't helping. I do think talking to your doctor might be a good idea. I'm sure that your parents would want you to get help for your sleeping

Do you want to tell us about the nightmares you're having? If you feel talking about them would help, then we're all ears. I would generally hope that once your sleeping starts to settle and gets better, that you're nightmares would improve too. Do you struggle with a low mood at all?

Hope this helps a little
Jessica.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MrsVanessa16 Offline
Loooooove
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - November 24th 2012, 08:47 PM

I'm usually not in a good mood when i go to bed. And sometimes i just cant fall asleep from the start other times i wake up a lot in the middle of my sleep from nightmares. Thanks Jessica this helps lots

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CountOnMe Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - December 2nd 2012, 05:00 PM

Hey there, to help with sleeping better maybe try and relax yourself before bed, for example an hour before have a long bath or watch a calming film or listen to calming music To not have bad nightmares I should maybe suggest speaking to somebody about this like a doctor or a counsellor and maybe as you load off of whats going on in them nightmares then you wont experience them anymore I wish you luck

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - December 2nd 2012, 05:08 PM

When it comes to nightmares, sometimes they can be triggered by you being too warm while you're sleeping.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
colby20pens Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anne

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - December 2nd 2012, 05:13 PM

I usually go to lay in bed an hour earlier than I want to fall asleep, say if I want to be asleep by 10 I go lay in bed at 9. Don't watch tv or use your phone or do anything stimulating when you lie in bed. Just relax for an hour and maybe you will even fall asleep earlier than you want! Don't drink anything with too much caffeine before bed too because it wakes your body up more. Hope this helps!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - December 3rd 2012, 10:17 AM

Nightmares are a symptom of anxiety, so anything you do to reduce anxiety will help with the nightmares.

Sleeping problems have a lot to do with your exposure to sunlight, stress levels, and diet.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Sleeping Problems and nightmares - December 4th 2012, 03:09 PM

If you are waking up too much in the middle of the night because of nightmares something more serious could be going on. Sleeping patterns can actually tell a lot about a person’s mental health. Are you dealing with your stress during the day? Do you take time outs during stressful moments to relax and calm yourself? Do you make sure to have “me” time? Often if we don’t deal with our stress during the day, our body won’t have a normal sleep pattern. I suggest you start checking your stress levels more often and see how that works out for you.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread