TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Anybody ever been on Clonazepam or Geodon? - November 26th 2012, 09:46 PM

Well, I just had an appointment with my psychiatrist and upon learning that I would have insurance for medication starting Wednesday she decided to try some new medications.
So I'm going off of Ativan, Risperdal, and Tegretol and am starting Clonazepam and Geodon in addition to my Lithium.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with these two medications? I'm well aware that everyone reacts differently to medication and that my doctor obviously believes the potential benefits outweigh the potential downsides but I just like knowing what can happen before I start taking things.

Thanks guys.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Anybody ever been on Clonazepam or Geodon? - December 3rd 2012, 10:14 AM

I took chonazepam before for a long period of time (3 doses per day). I think it just masked some other problems that I was having and contributed to the zombie like feeling that the medications caused me to experience. What I mean is that my heart rate at rest was about double the norm, and I think that situation would not have occurred if I wasn't taking clonopin. It is supposed to get rid of your anxiety, which basically means that you will be less responsive to and aware of problems you are having.

When I went off all of my medications, it was the only one that I had trouble getting rid of; it is highly addictive. To quit, you should only go down one half dose every two weeks.

My recommendation is to either not go on it (and take up some other way to deal with stress like meditation) or, if you insist, go on it at a different time than the geodon so that you have time to adjust to and evaluate the geodon independently of the effects of the clonopin. You might not be able to get a good sense of how geodon affects you if you start it at the same time as clonopin.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Anybody ever been on Clonazepam or Geodon? - December 3rd 2012, 10:04 PM

My flatmate takes clonazepam as PRN. Sometimes her voices stress her out, and she finds being able to take something that calms her down really useful.

I've only ever taken it when I wasn't supposed to, and mixed with other things, but all I can tell you for sure was it made me really sleepy - which isn't too uncommon with benzos.

If it works for you and it helps, then take it. Obviously your Dr. will probably track your progress through the first couple of weeks or so to make sure it's not having any negative side-effects.

So far as I know, it's good as PRN. I don't know about other ways of taking it because I have no experience of them. Good luck with your new concoction!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Anybody ever been on Clonazepam or Geodon? - December 4th 2012, 03:49 AM

Thanks for both of your replies. I'm not taking the Geodon as both the times I took it it made me fairly sick 7 or 8 hours after taking it for like 11 hours. I don't care how well a medication works but throwing up for that long pretty much nonstop isn't worth it!
I have yet to try the clonazepam as I'm kind of iffy on taking it and then possibly being expected to drive as sometimes medications hit me pretty hard with side effects. The main reason it was given to me was for pretty much the same reasons as Jess' friend. Its mostly for if my psychosis starts to freak me out or if I can tell I'm becoming manic. My anxiety is mostly under control using techniques I got through therapy so I don't think I'll need to take it for that very often if ever. Just if things start to get out of control.

But yeah, the Geodon is deff a no-go for me.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread