TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Bi-Polar Disorder?? help! - December 21st 2012, 05:55 AM

Hi everyone,

So I'm starting to get really worried...so I've really been working on a lot of emotional things...gaining confidence, getting over a heartbreak, and trying to sort out my feelings on things. So the other day I woke up and was simply PACKED with confidence and vwry high self esteem...I began acting a bit vain actually which is rare for me as I typically don't think highly if myself often. Tis lasted for awhile and then BAM! For absolutely no reason, there's tears streaming down my face and I feel so sad...then the next thing i know, I'm cracking off jokes with my brothers and being the ultimate class clown. a few minutes later?? I hate everyone and wish the world could just DIE.

Well I've always been aware of bi-polar disorder, and a couple times have even thought if I might have it.
Well now I'm seriously thinking about it and...I'm scared. I mean I don't want to talk to my mom about it, because she once told me It's best to ignore these things if you have a suspicion you could be diagnosed with it. Because opening one door, thinking you might have it and getting help, would lead to physicistrists, meetings, and special things..
..I'm really scared, because i never really realized how much having a disorder like this could change my life forever, but it can. so here are my questions..

-are there any symptoms to bipolar disorder, aand what are they??
-does it ever wear off or get better or more tolerable as you get older
-what can i do to keep my emotions under control?

And lastly...do you think I'm bipolar, or do you think it could just be my 13 year old hormones going crazy?!
Oh God...please...please let it be hormones. I'm already too different from 'normal' people...I can't handle this too.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Bi-Polar Disorder?? help! - December 21st 2012, 06:05 AM

Yes, there are definitely symptoms for bipolar.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good article about Bipolar, it is here.

There are, however, strict criteria regarding how long each mood phase lasts (usually they have to last a minimum amount of time) and there are also LOTS of mood disorders - bipolar is just the one that people tend to generalise to.

However, you mentioned something about your "13 year old hormones". And to be perfectly honest, unless you have a family history of mental illness, at 13 it's more than likely your hormones and I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you feel confident and good about yourself, make the most of it. When you feel tearful and yuck, hug a friend, or curl up with a good book or movie - emotions pass, and it's how we deal with them that matters anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Bi-Polar Disorder?? help! - December 21st 2012, 06:15 AM

The only family member that has a mental illness is my uncle, and he has dyslexia. Pheww...okay thank you so much. I'll do a bit of researching on it and maybe see how it goes over the years. Thank you so much c: I feel a lot better now...let's see how long that lasts c':

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Bi-Polar Disorder?? help! - December 21st 2012, 06:17 AM

Just as an aside to that, dyslexia isn't a mental illness, it's a learning disability.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Bi-Polar Disorder?? help! - December 21st 2012, 09:07 AM

Hey there,

Firstly, we are not allowed to diagnose you, only a doctor can. Now, there a two types of bipolar, Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 2, you could do a little research about those 2 things but I don't know if it will help. When I researched Bipolar for myself I just ended up a tad bit more confused. And, if you research and determine that you don't have bipolar or anything else then you might not seek help that you could very well need. So, my advice to you would be that you talk to a professional about this. I know that you don't want to this but it is probably the best course of action to take, he/she will be able to determine if it is bipolar or anything else or if it is just hormones (which could be very likely).

I hope this helped and wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread