TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kyliegurl1994 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kylie Caitlyn Erin

Getting help - December 31st 2012, 12:48 AM

Hi everyone,

SO here I am... I do have several mental illnesses including Bipolar Disorder, Bulimia, Social Anxiety disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Borderline personality disorder traits. I am also a cutter and am honestly addicted to suicide having tried so many countless times. It really is pretty stupid. I really struggle with my illnesses and it isn't a pretty picture my life.

I have received therapy from a therapist and psychiatrist for several years now, and I have done groups but nothing has helped me. So as there is no really helpful solution here and so my psychiatrist is working on sending me to Ontario, Canada to a specialized mental hospital for up to four months, a long way from home to say the least. I am quite scared to do this, being away from my family and friends for such a long time. I don't know how I will handle being in such a different place. I don't know, maybe it is for the best maybe not... I can't help but wonder what it will be like to be in Ontario, Canada, what an adventure in some ways I suppose.

Has anyone been to a mental hospital for any length of time? How do these long programs work, any idea?

Thanks for reading,

Kylie Caitlyn Erin...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Getting help - December 31st 2012, 12:55 AM

I have never been in hospital long term - my longest stay so far is three weeks.

Inpatient units aren't too bad though, the staff are friendly, the food is (generally) fairly good, you often get your own bathroom - depending on some things - and you usually get your own room.

Where I was, we had OT activities but no programmes going.

By the sounds of what you've said, you'll be participating in some sort of inpatient programme. Based on the other stuff you've said, it sounds like it could be a really good idea for you. Also, there's no harm in trying! And to be quite honest, if I was offered the chance to travel (even though the main reason was treatment), I'd take it.

It sounds like a really good opportunity. Being away from your family and friends would probably be scary, but you would make new friends, and it would give you a really good chance to learn about yourself.

So yeah, I have no idea how the long programmes work. In New Zealand, for people who need long programmes, instead of keeping them inpatient they get sent to something called supported accommodation - my flatmate is actually going there in a few weeks.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
kyliegurl1994 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kylie Caitlyn Erin

Re: Getting help - December 31st 2012, 01:04 AM

Thanks for getting back... Yes it is an inpatient program, two months of what they call Comprehensive Psychiatric Care (To stabilize me) then two months of Post Traumatic Disorder Recovery.

I suppose looking at the traveling makes it a little better to think of going...

Closed Thread