TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

It must have been the pills I took - December 31st 2012, 10:04 PM

What drugs and medications do you all take? Can be prescription, herbal, vitamin, or recreational. Do you find they help your particular condition? Any horror stories or great successes?

I take: Effexor 150mg, Lamictal 50mg
- I like the results of this combo. I feel much more alert and aggressive when on Effexor. Unfortunately, my cognition and memory doesn't seem to be as good as it used to. My grades have slipped a bit. I'm thinking about cutting out the Lamictal entirely and lowering Effexor to 75mg

I have taken: Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Abilify, Xanax, Klonopin. All pretty much useless except the Xanax. Frickin' wonder drug that is, but habit forming.

[Edited]

Herbal/Vitamin: I have taken St. John's Wort, which seems to help for depression. A great choice for uninsured people. I also take a multivitamin, B-supplement, and Omega fish oil. None of these have a noticeable immediate effect on my mood.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Last edited by PSY; January 1st 2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Removed "recreational" portion and OP's endorsement, as TeenHelp does not encourage illegal/potentially harmful behavior.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: It must have been the pills I took - December 31st 2012, 11:21 PM

Medication I have taken; Seroquel, Zyprexa, Prozac, Geodon, Tegretol, Ativan, Celexa, Effexor, Risperdal, Gabapentin, Lamictal, and Depakote.

Medication I currently take; Azathioprine, Lithium, and Clonazepam.

Lamictal made me so sick I had to go to the hospital. I couldn't stand up, I couldn't keep any food or liquids down, and I could barely talk or think. It was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. This is what happens when doctors fail to look at medication interactions (lithium and lamictal DO NOT mix).
Celexa and Effexor made me more depressed (a possible reaction for Bipolar people) I ended up attempting suicide for the first time on and with Effexor. I nearly died and don't remember about 2 weeks after that day.
Zyprexa made me gain a huge amount of weight ( I was underweight before I went on it so it wasn't horrible).
Geodon made me sick. Some peoples bodies will use up medication faster than others, I'm that way with Geodon. I actually ended up going through withdrawal between every dose so I gave up on it.

Other than that most medications just haven't done anything for me. Lithium and Risperdal are the only medications I've noticed made any real difference for me in terms of Bipolar. I've found Clonazepam to be quite effective for anxiety.

I don't really want to talk about any illegal drugs on the forum, if you want to hear about those you can PM me.

Member since 2005

Last edited by Music; December 31st 2012 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: It must have been the pills I took - December 31st 2012, 11:30 PM

Medications I have taken in the past: Diamox, Aspirin, Waferin (I know I'm young for Warferin but if you knew my story then you'd understand lol).

Medications I take now: Only aspirin, and I'm getting too paranoid to take that one, I was taken off Waferin by my doc but I took myself off of diamox and aspirin for a while but then went back on due to my doc putting fear into me about the aspirin (has to thin my blood lol).
I am also inquiring about anti-depressants and and an anxiety medication to take. I'm seeing a psychiatrist soon hopefully.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: It must have been the pills I took - December 31st 2012, 11:41 PM

Yeah Warfarin is no joke. Not familiar with Diamox

You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: It must have been the pills I took - December 31st 2012, 11:51 PM

Diamox reduces CSF (cerebal spinal fluid) I kinda went through the wars health wise in 2012. Haha.

Yeah, I had, have, a blood clot in my brain and they kept me on Warferin for 6 months, realised it wasn't working, considered surgery and decided that since the veins surrounding the blocked ones (sagittal sinus, transmoid sinus and jugular vein) were widening to take on the job they let it go and kept me on aspirin which thins your blood.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 1st 2013, 12:37 AM

Goddamn, that's scary :O

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 1st 2013, 05:44 PM

I think I've been on around 25 different medications for my mental health/sleeping problems.

I've not come across a sleeping tablet that helps and therefore, I was stopped on them all. I was being put on high, unlicensed doses and in the end my doctor told me it was too dangerous and I'd have to be admitted into hospital for 2 weeks because increasing it again could completely knock me out and put my health at high risk.

I found Diazepam helpful for my anxiety when it becomes severe. I'm now on Mirtazapine (30mg) but I don't know if it has helped my mood or not. I'm also now on Quitapine (450mg) and I think it helped me with the voices more in the first few weeks but not as much now.

I found Trazadone helpful but the second time I went on it I reacted badly too it and was taken off it. I have bad reactions and my nurse has mentioned about going on a medication which should some what prevent side affects of the meds Im on and that I may go. I've spent weeks in bed being sick and passing out from side affects so it makes it really hard for me to take them and agree to it.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 1st 2013, 06:50 PM

I take:
1. Proventil inhaler as needed for asthma I couldn't excercise for more than about 10 minutes before feeling like I was going to die

2. Dexilant, a pill for acid reflux once a day without this I feel like I'm going to throw up every time I eat, but it works great

and 3 eye drops for glaucoma
3. Lumigan once a day at night
4. Dorzolomide Hcl twice a day
5. Betoptic S twice a day

It took forever to find fix the acid reflux after months of suffering they finally figured out what it was and then I went through every pill available. They would last about 5 days and then just stop working
Then I finally got treated for asthma that I've probably had since childhood
Getting the right combination of eyedrops was fun too, either they interacted with my other medications or I couldn't tolerate them so now I'm on 3 different kinds, but the pain and feeling of pressure behind my eyes is gone so I put up with them because they work

I also take a multivitamin

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 1st 2013, 07:15 PM

I was on Citalopram (Celexa in the US) and now I've switched to Paroxetine. I think the Paroxetine is helping at least a little more than the Citalopram did.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 2nd 2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
I think I've been on around 25 different medications for my mental health/sleeping problems.

I've not come across a sleeping tablet that helps and therefore, I was stopped on them all. I was being put on high, unlicensed doses and in the end my doctor told me it was too dangerous and I'd have to be admitted into hospital for 2 weeks because increasing it again could completely knock me out and put my health at high risk.

I found Diazepam helpful for my anxiety when it becomes severe. I'm now on Mirtazapine (30mg) but I don't know if it has helped my mood or not. I'm also now on Quitapine (450mg) and I think it helped me with the voices more in the first few weeks but not as much now.

I'm surprised the benzodiazepines didn't help you sleep. Xanax put me right out if I took more than 2 or 3 or took it with a beer. Not recommended, but w/e. I did try ambien and it didn't really work. Still iffy on the herbals, melatonin didn't do much but I may try valerian root or something. When I was really insomniac, I pounded a full "plate" of benadryl (like 8 tabs) and still couldn't sleep. Interesting how much we fight natural tendencies.

Anti psychotics scare the shit out of me. No thanks.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 2nd 2013, 03:25 AM

I haven't been on much for medications (mostly because of having an issue finding a psychiatrist to see regularly), so my list is short.

Basically, I first started with Lorazepam (aka Ativan) for Anxiety, then when that stopped helping, I was switched to Clonazepam (aka Klonopin). I was on Quetiapine XR (aka Seroquel XR), but ended up deciding that it wasn't helpful for the dose I was taking. Plus, it stole my creativity.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 3rd 2013, 02:38 AM

Why do you need to see a psychiatrist? Can't any doctor prescribe psychiatric meds? Not that I recommend doing that to start, but once you have a regimen going it's fine. My endocrinologist prescribes me my meds these days, lost insurance coverage for mental health.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 3rd 2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
Why do you need to see a psychiatrist? Can't any doctor prescribe psychiatric meds? Not that I recommend doing that to start, but once you have a regimen going it's fine. My endocrinologist prescribes me my meds these days, lost insurance coverage for mental health.
Most doctors won't prescribe medication for another specialty if they don't have to. If they were to be wrong about a diagnosis, or if they didn't know if a medication interacted with another medication and put a patient at risk they could lose their medical licence or face a lawsuit.
They especially won't where Julz and I live as medical care is free so there is no reason for them to step in where they don't have to. The only drawback is that since it's free a lot of people seek help which creates long lines.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 3rd 2013, 11:16 PM

Oh ok. I refuse to pay $100+ for a psych appt. which is what they cost without insurance. And once my $15 copays on prescriptions run out, I'm switching to St. John's Wort for an antidepressant. So much cheaper than Effexor out of pocket.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 4th 2013, 08:53 AM

Also, I need a psychiatrist for the non-medical benefits too. But Rick summed it up well, GPs here don't typically prescribe mood stabilizers or antipsychotics without a psychiatrist's word (probably wisest).

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 4th 2013, 10:30 AM

I've been an a few medications.
Currently on Quetiapine 700mg for hearing voices and is working just fine, but at the beginning it made me extremely constipated, my hands couldn't stop shaking, and had a bad dry mouth. The dose is so high now I'm so zonked all the time.
Also Sertraline 200mg. Does wonders for me. The only anti-depressant that I've had minimal side effects from.

I've been on fluoxetine (gave me muscle spasms), mirtazapine (made me gain loads of weight), olanzipine (didn't do anything), risperidone (increased my appetite so much that I constantly felt like I hadn't eaten in weeks), Lorazepam (helped a little), Procyclidine (given to counteract the shaking hands from the quetiapine, didn't really do much), Propranolol (also to try to combat shaking)

I think thats all of them...

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 4th 2013, 08:46 PM

I am currently on duloxetine, ramipril, quetiapine, and sometimes zopiclone.
In the past, I have tried, fluoxetine, sertraline, mirtazapine, venlafaxine and amitriptyline. I am currently waiting for an appointment with my psychiatrist to increase the duloxetine and quetiapine,
I take ramipril for high blood pressure caused by polycystic kidney disease.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
kyliegurl1994 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kylie Caitlyn Erin

Re: It must have been the pills I took - January 8th 2013, 09:21 PM

I currently take: Lithium 1200mg, Lamatrogine 400mg, Seroquel XR 600mg, Abilify 30mg, Alprazolam 0.5mg.

Medication I have been on: Prozac, Wellbutrin XL, Paxil, Clonazapam, Zopiclone, Divalproex Sodium, Seroquel SR, and Adivan.

The three antidepressants (Wellbutrin, Prozac and Paxil) really screwed me up and were used before I was diagnoses with Bipolar Disorder. The Divalproex caused me hair to fall out... Seroquel SR caused me to gain a lot of weight and Clonazapam, Zopiclone and adivan were used as sedatives to calm me down.

Closed Thread