TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

am I schizophrenic?? - January 1st 2013, 10:30 PM

Hey everyone!
Sometimes I hear these voices but not in my head they seem to be coming from all around me, like I'm being spoken to. I feel like I can't talk to anyone about it because they won't believe me. I drop into hysteria too sometimes and my girlfriend hates to be around me when I'm like that. Is it schizophrenia??
-sine xx

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: am I schizophrenic?? - January 1st 2013, 10:38 PM

Hey there,

First of all, we can't tell you if you're schizophrenic or not. We're not doctors here and we can't diagnose you. It's important to know though, that people out there WILL believe you. Hearing voices is pretty serious and is a symptom of schizophrenia, but it's not the only one. It's a disorder which is characterised by many different symptoms, but it's also pretty rare and a lot of the symptoms may be the result of something else. It's important that you don't just jump to the conclusion that you have schizophrenia and that you do go out and ask for help and get a diagnosis. Professionals, while perhaps hard to get hold of sometimes, are the best people to speak to because not only can they help find a diagnosis for you, but they can help you recover and get treatment, and it's their job to believe you and help!

I hope this has helped a bit. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: am I schizophrenic?? - January 1st 2013, 10:49 PM

To add on to what Hollie said, people may hear voices if they're tired, if they're taking certain drugs/substances, if they're suffering from a medical/neurological condition, etc. It's far too soon to conclude that you have schizophrenia. Even if you DO hear voices as a result of a mental illness, there's no guarantee it's schizophrenia. I encourage you to see a psychological professional in order to receive an assessment (school counselors generally are NOT qualified, so you may want to talk to your regular doctor instead - this will allow you to rule out medical conditions, and to receive a referral to a psychological professional for further assessment).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: am I schizophrenic?? - January 1st 2013, 10:51 PM

I agree with pretty much everything Hollie has said to you above. Like you, I started hearing voices and having hallucinations a long time ago but never brought it up because it felt so real but I'm now on medication for it, I have therapy and a diagnoses is something that I am talking about with the people who are in my care plan. The best thing you can do is to talk to people. Talk to your doctor about it, they'll try their best to understand you and they'll help you move on from here. Of course, people with Schizophrenia hear voices as do people with psychotic depression. But other factors like stress, depression, from drug abuse, certain medications and even lack of sleep can trigger this as well, so try and to to jump to anything and make sure you don't stay in silence when you need support.

If you want to talk to us, we're always here for you. Keep on fighting.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: am I schizophrenic?? - January 2nd 2013, 04:18 AM

To add from being it. It is a tough process to go through to take the first try going to talk to someone build trust before saying something if it really is hard. I had to build up that this person could help me and they sent me through a process to be evaulated. Like said above it can be more than just that there is a range of things that can cause them.

The earlier you are willing to tell someone and get help the better though. If you let it get to a certain point it can become dangerous to yourself and others. If you have any questions though feel free to PM me. I can tell you my experince with it and can answer most questions through the process and dealing with it.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Re: am I schizophrenic?? - January 2nd 2013, 01:36 PM

the best thing you can do is go to a GP ( a doctor ) or even a counselor / school guidance officer/youth worker/psychologist/psychiatrist/mental health person.
you can also look up websites about it, like beyond blue, moodgym.
You also have the choice of ringing a hotline number (mental health hotline,kids help phone/kids helpline etc.) and asking the counselor on the other end about it..
I'm sure that they would be happy to help you, and they are 100% confidential unless you or another person are going to hurt or kill them self.

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1