TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Forgetit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: coco

what should I do - January 12th 2013, 08:19 PM

my uncle has Bi Polar disorder and he takes medication and everything but lately it seems he's about to have an episode such as he has in the pas and I'm mean like he looks right on the edge my mother knows the people he lives with knows but nobody really knows what to do about it so they are doing just nothing what should we do to try to prevent the next upcoming episode

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Greenie Offline
ribbit
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amy

Re: what should I do - January 12th 2013, 09:47 PM

Hi Leah!
If your uncle is taking his medication correctly and is regularly seeing a doctor and therapist, then there is nothing that can be done to prevent an episode, as such. I'm not sure whether you are referring to a manic or a depressive episode, but I realise both can be pretty scary for loved ones of a bipolar person to experience. To help your uncle, you and the people who care for him can be someone there who will listen to him if he wants to talk, check up on him regularly (depending on how often you see him) to make sure he is safe, calm him down by distracting him and talking to him, being there for him to make sure he isn't lonely. If your family could be aware of his treatment plan set by his therapist, that would also be ideal so that you know exactly how you cn help him. I'm not sure of your age but bear in mind though, if your uncle is an adult, it is not your responsibility to fully care or him.

I realise you wish you you could do more, but unfortunately you have no control of what goes on in your uncle's brain. If he is receiving care through therapy and he is correctly using treatment, then all is being done to help him, so try not to worry. If he is not using treatments properly, make sure someone in your family is in contact with his doctor, as this could dangerous.

I hope all goes well, and if you need anything, feel free to pm me
¬Amy

Be like the turtle;
at ease in your own shell.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Forgetit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: coco

Re: what should I do - January 13th 2013, 03:21 PM

thank you for your advice he did indeed have an episode and I'm not sure which it is he pretty much just says crazy stuff and throws things but we did find the source of the problem he recently went through a fair amount of weight loss and then wasn't taking the right dose of his medication so I guess all we have to do is get the right balance and he'll be fine

Closed Thread