TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Gonna be opening up about a sensitive topic in therapy...Tips? - January 18th 2013, 04:53 PM

Hi everyone,
I had stopped going to therapy, because after a year of therapy I hadn't gone very far at all, and so we felt it wasn't fair for me to keep going if I wasn't ready.
There's this one things that's been bugging me for ages now, and so I told my mother I'd talk about it to my therapist and she scheduled an appointment for next Saturday. I don't plan on opening up about something related to my OCD which is what I went for, so I don't think this'll lead to another chain of visits. But the topic I AM planning on speaking about is very hard for me to speak about, and I was wondering if you guys had tips?
Thanks x

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Gonna be opening up about a sensitive topic in therapy...Tips? - January 18th 2013, 06:44 PM

I usually dont have issues but the other day I had to face one. I had asked someone recommended saying things out loud to yourself alone before hand. I had the issue of not wanting to hear myself say it. I usually write things down whether it be like a note or a poem or something. It is the easiest way for me to communicate. I would really reccommend the saying it out loud though.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Gonna be opening up about a sensitive topic in therapy...Tips? - January 18th 2013, 09:28 PM

I think writing out what you want to say to him/her would help.
I know for me putting how I feel or whatever is going on within me in writing really helps because I can get it out and I can figure out, with the words written, how to possibly say it.
It is not easy opening up no matter what you do if the topic is something you really struggle to cope with or that you never talk about but know you have to discuss so the feelings you are having are normal and expected. Try going in knowing what you want to get out of the session (advice, encouragement, someone to listen etc.) and just open up.
If it will help, maybe you can make your therapist aware at the beginning of the session that you want to talk about something but that you are nervous about how to bring it up, they may have suggestions to help you at that moment or be able to encourage you.
Hopefully this helps and that all goes well next Saturday.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread