TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

making people understand - February 7th 2013, 02:27 AM

I do not ever like to tell my family or others about my mental health status and what I live with. I have schizophrenia and more things going on mental health wise but those are not what I struggle with as much. I constantly have issues with the things I hear and occasionally see. I really want to tell them but yet I am afraid they will blow it out of proportion, tell others, make me feel handicapped, be touchy with my feelings, not be understanding, and so many other things. Though I feel without them knowing they can not understand why I get so angry and upset when I am dealing with loudness in my head plus the surroundings and daily life. They constantly bring me down and try to push me to go do things that make me break down. I try to let them know that I do not come close to feeling comfortable with going out and doing certain things but I come of as unsocial, a drama queen, and many other things. I just can't outweigh the good with the bad. To me it is so hard to not tell and at the same time hard to tell.

I really want them to understand but they are never going to be willing to understand. They find ways to let me know they are disappointed in the fact I have something wrong with me. I can give some examples.
I have issues with SH (honestly it helps me maintain the hallucinations) and when my mom found out she blew up. She constantly told me how horrible of a child I am and never could understand why I would do something like that to her. She thinks I have quit completely but honestly I go to it every so often. If she hears of something she says things like people who do that are truely messed up and oh my I could never feel sorry for those people only wish they could be normal.
Another thing is suicide. For instance the news showed a story of a kid who had ended his life. I have attempted many times and she knows it and hates it. She waited till I move to the living room and said, " why people even consider that is something I can never understand? God gave you this life why are you going to make your family look bad and make them look like they couldnt help you?"

I try to ignore these things but when it is something like making a decision to tell my family why I am the way I am sometimes it becomes something I have to consider. I feel so stressed and everything just is becoming harder lately. How could I ever figure this out?!?!?

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: making people understand - February 10th 2013, 12:19 AM

Has your mother ever come with you to a session, so your psychological professional could explain what schizophrenia is and how it affects a person? Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions surrounding mental illness, as you're probably all too aware of. I've met people who feel self-harm is only done for attention, and that suicide is carried out in order to "get back" at family members/friends. I attempt to educate these people whenever I get the chance, and while some are very stubborn and won't listen, others DO think about what I've said and eventually develop different perspectives as a result. It might not hurt to set up a meeting with your therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, and to discuss some of the possible outcomes of the meeting (so you are prepared for whatever reaction your mother has).

So all your friends know is what they see, which is that you get angry/upset at times and avoid doing certain things they feel you should be doing. See, here's what came to mind when I read your first paragraph: wouldn't their behavior be inappropriate, even if you DIDN'T have mental health issues? It seems like these people would treat you poorly even if you were "normal" - so why bother telling them about the schizophrenia? Do you really think they'll suddenly treat you better, after knowing that? I think it may be more helpful to find people who can empathize and offer support right from the get-go. Have you considered joining support groups? There are usually free groups you can join, depending on what organizations/clinics are in your area.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: making people understand - February 11th 2013, 06:29 PM

I move a lot so I get afraid to join anything. I don't expect special treatment but more willing to understand. I guess I just hope they would and thinking you are probably right. They probably wouldnt be understanding and only make it worse. I usually do not let them go. I have let my husband come and it was ok but he has his own issues to deal with so he tries to be understanding but also has to deal with his social and emotional issues.

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...

Closed Thread