TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Entities Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Do you worry about mentioning - - April 18th 2009, 08:04 PM

Do you worry about saying or mentioning things to your psychiatrist/therapist/psychologist?

I sit down at nights almost every night and obsess about what I think I should tell my psychiatrist but when it comes round to it I don't say it....I just don't feel like I have the opportunity where I can slip something in.

And I obsess over the fact I've obsessed. And then I have to reason " Oh don't worry he's a professional he knows what he's doing" But! " Oh he can't read your mind can he?"

So do you feel like you have to mention things and never actually do it? And does it ever stop?

"The man doesn't become the monster, the monster becomes the man."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do you worry about mentioning - - April 18th 2009, 08:39 PM

I always used to worry about saying anything about my feelings or thoughts to anyone.

I know what you mean about obsessing about what you're going to say and almost 'role-playing' therapy or counselling sessions. It's normal to do that when you're worried about things, but it doesn't really help. What we make up in our head or how we envisage things is not always how things actually turn out.
I also understand what you mean about the mind-reader thing I think that's a common misconception or worry about anyone who deals with the mind.

When I go to my counselling sessions I always keep thinking 'should I or shouldn't I' with what i'm thinking. I don't tell her everything at all. I suppose there's some things that you're just not ready to tell other people, and that's okay, it's natural. They're our private thoughts and feelings. However, you would probably benefit from opening up to your therapist as it means they'd be able to help you better

Ultimately though, it's up to you what you tell them. Though it's best to be open and honest, they will realise that you're probably not going to tell them everything, and that's okay.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Do you worry about mentioning - - April 18th 2009, 10:45 PM

Hey,

Yeah Im exactly the same as you. A few days or even weeks before i spend ages obsessing over it. I think about what im going to say and plan it down to every last detail. Unfortunately though, like you said, i never get round to mentioning anything i wanted.

It can be really hard and scary to open up to another human. I think it can be worth it in the end though, after all, they have heard it all before. They probably wont judge you or anything they just want to help

x

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: Do you worry about mentioning - - April 19th 2009, 01:44 AM

Hey there!

I'll be the third person that has issues with talking to a psychologist. I plan out everything exactly what I want to say, almost scripting it out in my mind. I will then sit down and forget it all!

It seems like they can read our mind, but they can't. What they can do however is offer help based on what we say. Which is why you need to tell them everything! They have heard much worse before and besides all that, it is their job!

When you get to trust them a bit more, it will become easier to open up and talk about what is going on in your life.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Adam.

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Do you worry about mentioning - - April 19th 2009, 07:47 PM

Heya,

I have a similar problem. I constantly think about things and if they're appropriate to tell my therapist, wondering what he'd think about me and what he'd do if I said them.

I remember one time where I seriously thought my therapist was reading my mind because I was thinking all sorts of weird things and he just kept laughing. That was freaky. But no I don't think that they have the kind of ability, they may be able to read your body language like their favourite book though.

Just talk about whatever feels right, there is no right and wrong thing to say. It's your space to talk, you should use it as you wish. Try not to worry too much, just try to say the first thing that comes into your head even if it's nothing to do with how you're feeling.

x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ElToroLoco Offline
Sometimes fun costs you...
Average Joe

Name: Zorro

Re: Do you worry about mentioning - - April 19th 2009, 08:02 PM

No, it doesnt stop completely. But after a couple of sessions u start feeling more at ease talkin to them. Write down what u want to say, or what is constantly bothering you. Sometimes sayin extremely personal stuff is difficult so how bout writting him/her an email about it, it has worked for me.

"I hate that my blood makes me crazy. I hate that I can't function without being chemically altered...
And inside I feel like tears are streaming down my cheeks. But they're not are they...
I'm so lost inside. I wish that i could get out. But I don't think I ever will..."

Closed Thread