TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voei Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabriela

Question What's wrong with me? - February 18th 2013, 03:43 PM

Hello!

Firstly, I am fully aware that no one will be able to diagnose me through the internet, but I am writing to get some advice and learn about the different possibilities.

For the past few months I have been getting huge mood swings. I do realise that mood swings are normal for girls my age (I'm 15), but they seem to be a lot more severe and unexpected. I can go from feeling very depressed to feeling perfectly fine or even hyper and elated within minutes. When I go through those periods of depression, I feel completely worthless, I get embarrassed by everything I do and say and often start crying for no reason. I feel like a failure, I avoid mirrors because I feel disgusting. I think I'm completely unimportant and invisible to others. I even started self-harming.

That period of sadness usually lasts a few hours, up to 2 days. After that, I feel either completely normal, or very happy and overly-confident. I want to go out, meet up with people, be active and do something useful. I have a lot of energy and often have problems falling asleep at night. After that, I go back to feeling depressed. I tend to feel worse in the evenings.

So, what's wrong with me? Am I bipolar, do I have depression, or is this just a bad case of hormones and puberty?

Last edited by Voei; February 18th 2013 at 08:27 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: What's wrong with me? - February 19th 2013, 03:51 AM

Personally, at your age I'm going to lean towards hormones. Now, that doesn't mean that there can't be something there, but the way you described what's happening to you it doesn't really fit into any sort of mental problem very well (mood swings associated with bipolar, for example, tend to last weeks or months and almost never are as short as a few hours or days. This is extremely rare.)
However, if this is affecting your life in a very negative way I would suggest speaking to a professional. This could be a counsellor at school, your doctor, or even your parents could be a good place to start if the other two options are not available to you.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread