TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Asteria Polemoi Offline
Female Oddity
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Question I Don't Know What To Do - February 28th 2013, 09:01 PM

I have a tendency for rambling on so I'm going to try to make this as short as I can.

Basically, in October I finally gathered enough courage to talk to the counselor about feelings I had. From there, I was sent to this therapist that came to our school every Thursday and I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder.

Well, I went to him two times after that and then for some reason they never called me back in, which frustrated me but I knew I wasn't very important, because after all, I never am.

A few weeks ago, I went back to the counselor's office to talk about something else. She told me she would turn me back to the therapist because I was showing multiple signs of OCD. She sent me off with a five-page packet about OCD and I was supposed to show my parents them. However, I couldn't go that Thursday because we had a break, but the the next Thursday was snowed out. Today, though, they never called me in.

So let me explain why I'm really stressed out.

Other than social anxiety and possible OCD, I'm a neurotic perfectionist. Heck, I am just extremely neurotic. Every day, I feel worthless and ignored because nobody will be my friend and nobody will talk to me. That's basically everything I feel in a nutshell, but they affect me so much to a point where I'm almost done and want to give up all hope.

The therapist doesn't know any of this. He just knows that I have a problem talking to people and going places. He told me that going to a clinic or whatever they're called would help a lot, but I told him that a) we couldn't afford it and b) my parents don't believe me, which brings us back to the problem.

My mom thinks it's my fault nobody likes me. She says that if I would just talk to people and pretend to be interested and stop being my snooty, arrogant self I would actually have friends. Even when the freaking therapist called to tell my mom, she didn't believe him and still claims it's my fault. She even gets mad at me when I have an anxiety attack or do my touching compulsions that I can't stop. She says I'm looking for attention and I need to stop it.

So my mom doesn't believe me, my dad doesn't care, my grandparents think people with mental problems are making it all up, and my "best friend" thinks people with mental problems deserve it for being weak.

Basically, my question is what the heck am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm going insane everyday but my petty problems are pushed aside for the kids who actually have real and serious things to deal with and nobody in my family will help me get someplace.

Please, I don't know what to do. I know I probably sound stupid and my problems nonexistent, but I can't describe how powerful they feel.

"You were given this life because you are strong enough to live it."

Feel free to message me anytime. I would love to talk with you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I Don't Know What To Do - February 28th 2013, 10:45 PM

Alright, your post was kind of long so I'm going to try and break it up to make sure I cover everything.
Firstly, therapists can't diagnose anything. They can help you deal with problems and give some treatments (such as therapy) but they aren't trained to diagnose you and if he did that he's actually going out of his scope of practice which can lose him his licence. If you need to be diagnosed he should send yo to a psychiatrist, which is a person trained to diagnose mental health problems and who can give you medication (if your condition needs it).
Next, do you feel depressed? I'm not saying you do have depression, but depression can manifest itself in many ways (feeling guilt, anxiety, lonely, having trouble with social situations, etc.). I'm just mentioning this because from what you've said it sounds like a possibility to me, lots of counsellors and therapists will just jump to a bunch of conclusions and miss the one basic thing that's actually causing everything else (this happened to me for years), because, again, they are not trained to diagnose people. OCD is a serious mental health concern, and it concerns me that a school counsellor would say they think you have it, give you a pamphlet, and then send you to a therapist instead of a psychiatrist. It makes me think they don't know what they're doing.
Also, you need to advocate for yourself. I know it's hard but when you expect to see someone and things don't pan out then say something. These people trying to help you are only human. They make mistakes, forget things, misplace things just like you and I. I doubt they would push you aside, not see you, and then on top of it all offer you no explanation whatsoever. I think that maybe you're just a little lost in the system and you just need to give someone a little nudge to remind them that you're still here waiting for help.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread