TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Should I tell anyone? - March 25th 2013, 12:49 PM

I started seeing a counsellor to help deal with my personal issues. But i haven't told anyone yet. It's something I thought about doing for a long time and finally snapped and called the place I'd been intending to go to should I ever follow through with it the day after I had a panic attack so bad that i threw up. I like my counsellor. But I still haven't told any one....

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 25th 2013, 02:16 PM

Hi there.

I'm glad that you've taken the step to get the help you both need and deserve. I understand that this was a big and scary step to take and I hope that you're proud of yourself for doing so. Do you want to tell people? I mean if you want to, then yes. It's nothing to be ashamed of or to hide from people but at the same time, if you don't want to tell people, then you don't need to so i guess this is about what you want at the end of the day.

Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 25th 2013, 03:14 PM

Hmm... I have super unsupportive parents, once i was going to school counceling, and they made a big deal out of it and i got grounded because i didnt told them and all... Basically, i dont talk with my parents about anything really, except with my dad sometimes, but not with my mom... I said my friends, so if you want to, you could say to ones you trust... I have a cousin and hes great when it comes to solving this stuff so i mostly talk to him and yeah... Idk, i never tell my parents anything, and i say 30% of "stuffs" to my friends, and about 100% to my cousin... xD yep im wierd, but to paraphraze: your choice, you need to see how much supportive those people are, and then determine would you tell them or not...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 25th 2013, 04:21 PM

I am personally pretty open about my problems with mental health, more so with people I work with and friends than with my family, but I'm at a point now where I couldn't hide it because I ended up having 6 weeks off work because of it. For a while I was really worried about what people think, but the time to change campaign inspired me to be more open and honest about it. It's gone well, I've found that when people know what's going on, they can offer support, even if it's just a cup of tea or a hug. Most people I work with have been really good. I don't tell everyone everything, but if they ask, I'm willing to answer most questions.
As for your situation, it's completely up to you whether you tell people or not, but I think it really can help as if people know you have stuff going on, they can help you and give you support. Not everyone is going to be okay about it, some people will discriminate or become distant, but there's always going to be someone isn't there? Whatever you choose to do, use all the help you get and I hope the counselling helps

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 26th 2013, 09:40 PM

I don't know what to tell people though. I present a certain "view" to the outside world and while some people know that I have a lot of stress and anxiety about school I don't think i want them knowing how bad it is, that I've been driven to this point. I want to get better and stop feeling all the pain but I don't want people to judge me and to come to their own conclusions about what is going on in my life when they really have absolutely no idea at all what so ever.... Honestly, lately my anxiety has been so bad that I've been thinking about self harm. I would never do it... But it's that severe right now, and I know that it'll go away once the semester is over but i just can't make the pain go away

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 27th 2013, 06:13 PM

I'm currently in graduate school, studying to become a marriage and family therapist. Everyone in my program is encouraged to see a therapist of their own during graduate school. There are several reasons for this, but basically, the people in my program don't see therapists because they're "crazy." Most of the students are just stressed (which is typical for someone in graduate school). There's no shame in seeing a therapist/counselor because you're stressed and want to find better ways to manage that stress. Granted, there IS a great deal of stigma surrounding mental illness... but I think our generation has become more understanding of seeing therapists/counselors for short-term problems (ex. a difficult break-up, parents' divorce, stress over schoolwork/life transitions). The way you present this information will make a huge difference in how people react. If you sound casual about it ("I've been really stressed out lately, so I'm talking to someone about it"), then you're less likely to be judged for seeing a therapist/counselor.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 27th 2013, 07:12 PM

There's absolutely no reason why you have to tell anyone. If you want to, you could always say it's to discuss academic options or workload?? There's a lot of people in this situation who know how stressful that can be.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should I tell anyone? - March 27th 2013, 11:16 PM

That's why I go talk to her. Because I have all these challenges and I have no one to talk to who can be practical with me. No one tells me not to let the situation crush me. I try to talk to my friends and they just tell me "oh that sucks" or "yeah, me too" kind of thing. I feel like I actually make an attempt to help people out by providing suggestions when they come to me with a problem... but seems next to impossible to hope that anyone will ever do the same for me... and I am capable, I can handle shit on my own, but it hurts sometimes... And I don't know if I am ready for people to realize that...

Closed Thread