TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Inside your mind!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley
Location: This house upon the lake, five levels below the surface of the earth...

Motivation while depressed - May 29th 2013, 10:02 PM

For quite a while, I've known that I have bipolar disorder and really bad anxiety. I've taking psychology courses at college, and I fit all the criteria (a lot of people on my mom's side of my family have been officially diagnosed with it, as well).

I can't see a therapist or get any medication because my parents are very religious and don't believe that any sort of mental disorder exists. They, and the rest of my church, believe that anyone with a mental illness is "just feeling sorry for themselves."

I've been managing pretty well without medication and therapy. I've developed a lot of methods for coping with this. The problem is, I started a new semester of college yesterday (summer courses, I hate it), and I also got really depressed. I was on the verge of crying all day and I don't even know why.

I have a bunch of homework due tomorrow and because of this depression I'm feeling really overwhelmed and I can't focus. I ended up spending half the day reading a novel because the amount of work I have to do is freaking me out.

Is there any trick anyone here uses to stay focused and calm while working?

"Hearing is believing, music is decieving
Hard as lightning, soft as candlelight
Dare you trust the music of the night?
Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be."

-Music of the Night as sung by Michael Crawford ♥

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Motivation while depressed - May 31st 2013, 10:46 PM

hi,
When I was at uni, I had similar problems trying to get my work done. In the end, I would decide on a treat for myself after each piece of work (like a hot bath, or a glass of wine, chocolate bar etc) and would take frequent breaks when feeling overwhelmed. Also, I found that being really anal about organization and planning helped. For each piece of work, I would break it into chunks and do each tiny piece one by one, without getting worked up about the next piece and yes, it would take me ages, but it helped me get my work done without getting overwhelmed and feeling worse.
I think the most important thing I've learnt is to be kind to yourself. Do what you can, not what you "must". Take breaks, reward yourself, and take planned time out to relax.
Hope this helps

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Motivation while depressed - June 2nd 2013, 01:08 AM

Have you looked into the kinds of services your university offers? Generally, students either have to purchase health insurance through their university, or have insurance through another provider. Either way, you should be able to receive therapy/counseling sessions, at the very least. Medication could be a bit pricey and more of a hassle to get, but I don't see why you should have to go through another family member in order to get services (unless you're still a minor). If you truly believe you have bipolar disorder (or another mental illness), then it's important to receive adequate treatment. Self-soothing/coping techniques are great, but if you get to a point where that's not enough, you need to have a backup plan, and seeking treatment can help you find more stability as a whole.

Closed Thread