TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

General Advice - May 31st 2013, 08:41 AM

This is a pretty general question, and I don't know why I seem so stuck here. But anyways, I have been sinking down into depression again and all that. But I feel like right now I have the motivation to pick myself back up. But what steps would you suggest an individual would take to do so? I'm looking into a therapist (Insurance issues... pfft) and so forth, but what daily things can I do to like... help myself get out of bed or actually get something done.

I also find I'm bored ... a lot. And half of my issue is my boyfriend just switched to nightshifts so I have to pick him up at 2:30 in the morning which is messing with me. But I sit up all night just stressing and being all bleh and depressed.

Any general advice would be appreciated. I feel like I should know some more ideas to push myself in the right direction.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: General Advice - May 31st 2013, 10:35 PM

Hi,
It's great news that you feel like you can take some steps to getting well again. One of the things I am doing currently is to keep a journal of some of the emotion regulation skills that I am using. I learnt it in DBT and it's basically
PL - treat physical illness
E - get exercise
A - avoid mood altering drugs (apart from prescribed meds)
S - get balanced sleep
E - eat healthily
Master - do something that makes you feel accomplished (can be anything from getting out of bed, to running a marathon)

Please Master - I write down what I do every day and if I don't do so good on one part one day, I try harder the next.

another thing that I have done is draw a scale of my warning signs from everything is okay, to meltdown. Some of the things I have on there is withdrawing from friends, self harming, not asserting myself. And on the other side of the scale, I have a list of things that I need to do to pick myself back up, so things like spending time with family, talking to someone, etc

One more thing I've done is getting a hobby. I've just gotten into scrapbooking and food blogging (things I can do inside if I'm not feeling up to much)

I hope this gives you some ideas
Ella

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread