TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Furubasu Offline
FISHSTICKS!
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Question My friend has ADD? - April 30th 2009, 11:26 PM

There's a boy in my class who is my friend but not an extremely close friend who I overheard telling someone in my homeroom class that he has ADD. He's never mentioned this before, so I thought he was pulling the kid's leg and ignored it. Then today in history when we were working in class, he mentioned it to me as well. I know what he's like when he's serious, or upset, and he actually seemed fairly upset about this and very serious. I'm not too close to him, as previously mentioned, but I often help him with classwork and schoolwork. By the way, the reason he seemed upset about it was because he seemed to believe it was affecting his performance in school. I was wondering what ADD is (I've heard many random things at school, but by now I know better than to believe randomly shouted things) and if there's anything I can do to help or make it easier for him when I help him study. Thank you!

I either feel like no one cares, and that I should be breaking things, and that everything is falling apart, or that everything is great, and I can do anything, and I really do have friends.

I'm stuck halfway in between.

Last edited by Furubasu; April 30th 2009 at 11:31 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: My friend has ADD? - May 1st 2009, 11:38 AM

Hiya!

ADD is Attention Deficit Disorder. Basically, you can read up on the basics here. There's also a branch of ADD - ADHD, which you can read more about here. I'm linking you to these websites because a] they're very reliable sources and b] they explain it better than I ever could. Anyway, I was diagnosed a few years with ADD. I still mumble-rant about it from time to time, but that's not the point.

Things that help me study:

- When I'm studying with someone else and they help keep us on task. That's always a big one. Though I still don't think I fully have ADD, so I try to do this too.

-Basically what everyone else does when they're studying, like be in a quiet location, except for more intensely, if that makes sense.

So, I think it's great that you're trying to help this kid - getting diagnosed with something you don't know much about can be scary, so encourage him to read up on the disorder and how he can try to overcome it. Remind him that this doesn't change him - he's still the same person he always has been. [: And yeah, good luck!

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Furubasu Offline
FISHSTICKS!
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Re: My friend has ADD? - May 3rd 2009, 02:01 AM

Okay, thanks. I'll check out those links. : ) We have state testing next week and all we did in all our classes this week was study, I think that's what got him down; he's actually very bright. Thank you so much!

I either feel like no one cares, and that I should be breaking things, and that everything is falling apart, or that everything is great, and I can do anything, and I really do have friends.

I'm stuck halfway in between.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: My friend has ADD? - May 10th 2009, 02:59 PM

My nephew has ADHD and it does affect his school work because he can't concentrate on anything long enough to understand it. When he trys to do homework he has to get up and move every 5 min.

-Bri
  Send a message via MSN to Catsrmything Send a message via Yahoo to Catsrmything  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
haruka_xx Offline
BREATHE
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sasha

Re: My friend has ADD? - May 10th 2009, 04:33 PM

As someone who has been considered ADD, is Dyslexic, and has many friends who are ADD, there's definitely one thing that I can think of that might make it easier for your friend.

Bringing a lot of attention or trying to 'fix' the person is definitely not going to help. I used to not tell my friends I was Dyslexic / somewhat ADD, and then I slowly started to bring it up and mention it. One thing that they've come to understand is that they can't be angry for me when I don't listen to something they're saying, or I jump from subject to subject and click my pen as a distraction for myself.

Even if you're not very close to this person, all you can do is be understanding toward their condition and open to suggestions if they feel that you could help in any way.

Also, bright kids usually exhibit ADD tendencies because their minds are thinking so fast that they can't concentrate on one specific thing. My little brother is ADD as well as Dyslexic, but he's also very bright. While he has difficulty with reading, he's a wizard with math and can work a computer far better than any kid I know. At the same time, he can barely look you in the eye when having a conversation because he's busy looking everywhere else.

Just be there for the person, and try to be understanding because the way that they're acting isn't always something that they can control

Closed Thread