TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
batsmad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Question Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 20th 2014, 02:16 PM

I've been referred from my doctor to another service to help me deal with the problems I've been having with coping with the number of new people at my university and next week we've got to make the decision whether I get tested for aspergers. Do you think it's a good idea to ask to get referred again and have a test, or just stick with the exposure therapy I'm just starting.
  Send a message via Skype™ to batsmad 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 20th 2014, 08:24 PM

Hey Laura,

Personally, I think it's probably best if you get the most tailored, suitable treatment for you, and that all the resources uou could potentially utilise are available for you.

For that reason, even though it might seem slightly inconvenient, I'd recommend getting tested. You can make decisions based upon the results of that test, but I always think that the most informed decisions tend to be the best ones.

Really, though, it's up to you. Getting tested is what I'd do, but if you don't want to, you don't have to - you can definitely make your own decisions.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 22nd 2014, 02:25 AM

As Adam said, it is definitely your decision.

I have Asperger's, and I wasn't too keen on getting tested. However, I'm glad I did because it explains some things and potentially gives more treatment options. Also, for school, IEP's (individualized education plans) or 504 plans are good if you need extra help with school after a diagnosis.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 22nd 2014, 04:56 PM

Hi there, Laura!

It is your decision, ultimately. I would advise you to get tested, having been in the situation. I was reluctant to get tested myself, but, at the end of the day, I think it's worth it. If you can make use of any resources for help that will come available to you after a diagnosis, it'll be useful.

Moreover, you don't have to consider having Asperger's a negative label. It doesn't define you, and understanding how your mind works can be really helpful. As can exposure therapy, so it definitely sounds like you're on the right track to coping with it, and I think getting tested is a step in the right direction. Nonetheless, it's up to you!

I wish you the best.

Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Alaska Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 23rd 2014, 08:13 AM

It can be a difficult decision and ultimately it's up to you. I've been tested myself and really it gave me the answers as to why I did certain things and had these "differences". It helped me to accept myself and understand myself better.

Knowing that you have aspergers can help you receive the right treatment and resources but you may also see aspergers negatively which may make you upset. Maybe write a list of pros and cons and decide what's best for you hope everything goes well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 23rd 2014, 09:12 AM

Hey Laura

Knowing more about yourself is often very useful, and I'd suggest to everyone that they know themselves. There also can be a lot of stigma around the label of Asperger's, or any other diagnosis. Thing is - it can be useful to you.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ
Average Joe

Re: Is it better to get tested (Aspergers) - February 24th 2014, 01:39 PM

If you think you want to get tested and really figure out the root of the problem, I would say there's no harm. As stated before, the decision is ultimately up to you but if you need a little confirmation or want to figure out what exactly it is, I would get tested. But at the end of the day, you should remember to never let a diagnoses define you. They're just a label put on you for therapists to give you the proper treatment - it most certainly does not entirely change the person that you are.

I hope you find what you're looking for and best of luck.

Closed Thread