TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ihea Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Hayden

Angry Not Good at Anything - March 14th 2014, 04:54 AM

In both the traditional and non-traditional sense.

Basically, my life is a series of disappointments. I live in a nice town with a cookie-cutter family, yet for some reason I've always just been sad. I never could quite fit in with anyone and still have a lot of communication problems, so I don't really have close friends. I'm also overly-ambitious which proves detrimental because the only goals that have ever come true for me was getting in the top 10% of my grade for academics at my eighth grade promotion as well as having perfect attendance for that year, but even then they botched it up and forgot to announce my name. I cried. I cry probably too much.

Recently I've just gotten really sad, and I guess it's been becoming apparent because I'm on some watch list right now by all my teachers. My parents have been notified and teachers have been telling each other stuff and I've been talking to this psychologist that travels between schools and somehow they found out about the day I was delusional and it's all very strange. They seem to check in on me a lot and my parents have grown considerably nicer, so now I'm overly suspicious of this psychologist.

However, I do have a long list of symptoms for a lot of things. But even then, I'm not good enough to even be diagnosed with anything. I have like symptoms for everything but I'll always just be one off so I can't actually be told, "You have this, this is how you fix it," and now I'm getting frustrated and discouraged on my lack of problems. How can I be under surveillance and not actually have anything serious? I'm not even good at having problems and I just cry a lot because I'm a baby and this is all very annoying and discouraging and I'm sorry you had to read this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Avaleine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Avaleine

Re: Not Good at Anything - March 14th 2014, 06:58 AM

I've felt like that quite a few times. You shouldn't feel sad all the time. No one should have to feel like that. If I were you, I'd ask your parents to see a different psychologist or therapist other than the one you already see. If they think something is "wrong" with you already, they probably will be more than happy to let you do that. One of my friend sees a therapist and the school counselor, and before that, she saw a different therapist. The first therapist didn't help her, but the second did. Also, don't apologize for us "having" to read this. It's no problem. I cry a lot too, sometimes over the most idiotic of things. Some people are very emotional, and I happen to be one of those people, and you might be another one. It's okay. And I'm pretty sure you don't have to have every single symptom to technically have a "problem". Good luck to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Not Good at Anything - March 17th 2014, 09:19 PM

Hello, Hayden! I'm sorry you're struggling at the moment. I can understand why you would feel so frustrated - it many ways, it can help to have an "official" diagnosis, because then you can create a treatment plan founded in evidence-based techniques. I agree with the previous poster's suggestion of seeking a second opinion. If it's simply a matter of not meeting all the criteria for various diagnoses, then you can still receive treatment, but your insurance may not reimburse sessions with a mental health professional outside of your school setting.

What is "treatment"? It's not just medication - it's also therapeutic interventions/techniques based on various theories (e.g., cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT). You do NOT need an "official" diagnosis in order to benefit from therapeutic interventions/techniques! So even if seeing a mental health professional outside of your school setting isn't an option, you SHOULD be able to meet with the school psychologist and benefit from some psychoeducation about how to manage your various symptoms.

I know it may be difficult to trust the adults in your life right now, and you may feel embarrassed by all the attention you're receiving at the moment... but remember, they're all trying to do what's in your best interests. =) Keep communicating with your parents and the school psychologist, so you can receive the support you're looking for! With time, you'll begin to find some of the answers to your questions, and that WILL make treating these symptoms easier. You just have to hang in there until things get better!

Closed Thread