TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 16th 2014, 09:30 PM

I have been self harming for about 6 months and there are only 5 people in the world who know (all friends of mine, no adults, not even my parents). One of them asked me recently if I thought I might have depression. I hesitated, but answered no. Now I'm second guessing it. I mean maybe I do have depression. It sure would explain a lot. So my question is if there is any way to get diagnosed by a professional without my parents ever finding out (i.e. emailing a mental health professional or calling some hotline and telling them about what has been going on so they can diagnose me). Any ideas on how to do this?? Do you know of any confidential hotlines that could help me out?

Last edited by Fighting-to-Win; March 16th 2014 at 11:21 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ginger98 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ginger98

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 16th 2014, 10:49 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this! But okay..some ideas..yes maybe you should contact a health professional! That to me seems like your bet bet! I honestly hope you don't have depression and that it's just a simpler problem to fix if not there is help for you!! Good luck and message me anytime if you ever need anything!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 17th 2014, 01:10 AM

See if you can chat to your GP and when you're there, ask them if there's a way that you could talk to them about something personal without your parents finding out. Before you talk to a professional, find out what their confidentiality methods are. If you're under a certain age, they may be obliged to tell your parents unless they feel you would be better off without them knowing. If they give the ok for you to talk about deep things, providing you have no intention of causing serious harm to yourself (such as attempting suicide) then they would definitely be someone to chat to.

Is there a particular reason why you don't want your parents to know or don't want to consider talking to them? Or is it because they are the cause of your problems?

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 17th 2014, 07:03 PM

Hey there, I'm sorry you're dealing with this, but I'm glad you want to try and get help.

Depending on your age and where you live you might be able to see a professional for a certain number of sessions without your parents finding out. For example, I know in Ohio if you're between 14 and 17 you can see a professional for 6 sessions or 30 days, whichever comes first, before your parents would be notified. After that time frame they would discuss with you how you want to proceed (stop seeing them, you tell your parents and continue, or have them tell your parents for you). I was told this by a psychology professor/practicing psychologist and I know it applies to psychologists, not sure about other mental health professionals.

Your doctor can be an excellent place to start, but be aware that they may try to throw meds at you. Not all doctors do this, but a lot of them will. Don't feel obligated to take medication if you don't want to or if you don't feel like the diagnosis was well thought out.

Hotlines cannot provide diagnoses for the same reason that we don't provide them over the internet. Most are run by volunteers who are not qualified and a professional actually has to meet with you and do a full evaluation including history and so fourth for an accurate diagnosis.

I completely understand not wanting to tell your parents, but I would encourage you to at least consider it given the fact that they will eventually find out.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 17th 2014, 11:53 PM

Thanks for your help so far guys. Some info I didn't include before: I'm 15, I live in Illinois, and it may be foolish, but my plan is for my parents to actually never find out. I love my parents, but the way my family works is pretty simple-- if you have feelings, you're weak. So even though I have amazing parents, this is not something I will ever feel comfortable sharing with them or having them ever know. Again thanks for the help so far!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 18th 2014, 12:10 AM

Your guidance counselor may be another place to start. They (usually) can't diagnose you either, but they may have more relevant/local information for you. Unless you are a danger to yourself or others they don't have to tell your parents, but they will probably encourage you to do so. If you let them know why you feel you can't they may have good ideas as far as what to do about it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 18th 2014, 04:40 AM

What's a guidance counselor? How do I find one? And I know SH is considered being a danger to yourself so they would be required to tell I think..that's why I'm trying to find another method of getting diagnosed.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Getting Secretly Diagnosed? - March 18th 2014, 05:11 AM

Guidance counselors are employed by schools, so if you would like to meet with one, you may need to go to the administrative/office area and ask to speak with one. Sometimes guidance counselors perform other duties, such as helping students create the right academic schedules... but many have some knowledge of child/adolescent development, which puts them in a position to connect you with valuable resources (e.g., support groups and community programs).

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread