TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Nightmares about... - March 24th 2014, 11:44 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well, I keep having nightmares about Freddy Kreuger, had them for years but recently they have been getting worse due to a lot of stress going on in my life as I have been through a lot.
I have tried talking to a psychologist about it but she just sat there and laughed at me, this hurt a little bit as she was meant to be there to help me but instead she just laughed.
Some nights the dreams are so bad that I stay up all night and last time this happened I stayed up for three nights straight and ended off hallucinating so I ended off eventually sleeping.
I have never truly trusted psychologists because they always just seemed to laugh about my situations so I stopped seeing them about things and then when I do bring myself to go and see someone else eventually, the same thing happens.
I have started self harming again, all my friends seem to think I'm crazy because of these dreams, they say I'm just saying it to get attention but I'm not. I just want someone to help me, my family don't understand and my friends walk away when I try to talk to them.
I know its not my fault that I am having these bad dreams but I do blame myself sometimes as people do make it feel like its my fault.
I don't know what to do. I don't know whether I can bring myself to trust another psychologist.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nightmares about... - March 25th 2014, 12:29 AM

When I have recurring nightmares, the first thing I do is identify the problem. What about him do you think is so scary? What happens in your dreams? Explore what really scares you about the character, then take some time to get yourself used to whatever thing scares you, that way you don't get so frightened in your dreams.

I used to have nightmares of Jaws eating me when I was a kid. I eventually spent enough time watching the movie and other shark shows that I started really liking them as animals. Never had another shark nightmare to this day, though I've had plenty of them as pets/transportation in my dreams.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ginger98 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ginger98

Re: Nightmares about... - March 25th 2014, 12:35 AM

Hey there! I'm sorry you're going through this and feeling this way..and I for one do NOT think you are doing any of this for attention. And I hate to see you blame yourself for all this when really the psychologists are to blame..my advice to you is to retro stop self harming--think is this really worth it? It may or may not be for you. But also think is this really truely solving my situation? Because in the long run it really isn't. Also keep trying to find a new psychologist--trying to find a new one is all you can do! Also if you do find a good one you can trust and one that treats you with respect--tell them your issue and see how they can help.-- and if you continue to have these nightmares maybe try asking if sleeping medicine could be an option? That part is totally debatable! Also what is I that is stressing you out? Anything in particular??Feel free to message me if you ever need anything! We're all here for you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Nightmares about... - March 25th 2014, 03:04 AM

hi there,
Finding right psychologist is kinda trial and error. You just gotta keep looking til you find the right one. I had problems with night mares.. But it ended up being my meds doing that.. Even though it's not common. Also it can be a cause of high stress and stuff. I recommend trying to find another psychologist because they are NOT suppose to do that. Also self harming is not good at all. And it's Extrememly hard to get out of once you get really addicted to it (I'm trying to stop, but not any luck) so please stop before it gets worse. I hope you can find another psychologist that you can trust feel free to PM/VM me

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Doctor's Companion
I've been here a while

Name: Michaela

Re: Nightmares about... - March 25th 2014, 04:51 PM

Well, one of my best friends is training to be a psychologist, maybe I could ask him if he could help me? I don't know if that's the right way to go though if he is just training, but I don't think he would laugh at me like the rest of them did. I suppose there is no harm in asking him or maybe asking him if he knows any psychologists who won't sit and laugh at me when I tell them the situation.

The character doesn't scare me at all, watching the movies doesn't help either. I don't have a clue what is causing me to dream about him.
  Send a message via MSN to Raggedy Man, Goodnight!  
Closed Thread