TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music4lyfe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alana

Is this normal? - April 5th 2014, 04:31 PM

So, I am an almost 14 year old girl, so naturally my hormones are going crazy and doing strange things. But, I don't think that what I'm experiencing is the result of hormones?
Hallucinations, audible and visual. I mainly only get the audible hallucinations at night, when it's quiet, but the visuals are constant.
It's become a difficult, even terrifying task just to sleep at night. I keep my eyes shut, telling myself that there is no possible way that there is anyone in my room. But I swear always hear footsteps and breathing in my room... And other strange noises that I can't describe. I can FEEL something right next to me, I sense its presence better than I sense most people's... But I open my eyes and it's not there. Once or twice I've thought that I've heard speaking, for example the other night I was half asleep, when I heard what sounded like a young, innocent girl, kind of like Luna Lovegood off of Harry Potter, say "Boo!" like in a tone that people use to spook others. It shocked me awake. I think I've heard laughter a few times too... But I'm not sure
As for the visual hallucinations, it's not like the occasional seeing something out of the corner of your eye... It's CONSTANTLY seeing things out of the corner of my eye, vivid movement that stays until I move my eyes to it. Lights, shadows, people, animals, all kinds of things
I'm always paranoid that there are things around me, watching me. I swear I can feel them there, usually in my bedroom.

I haven't been sleeping as much as I probably should because of stress, nightmares, things that are more important than sleep, and now this. But I don't think that I've lost THAT much sleep, I mean it's school holidays now, so I slept in this morning. I don't FEEL tired, but could my body need more sleep and I just don't know it? Could this all be the result of sleep deprivation? Or perhaps stress and how I feel so trapped in my life?

Thanks in advance xx

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Andy Biersack.
There's only a thin line separating dreams from reality

RIP Mitch Lucker <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Is this normal? - April 5th 2014, 10:25 PM

I think it's worth making an appointment with your regular physician/GP to rule out medical conditions that could be leading to sleep deprivation and auditory/visual hallucinations. It's tricky, because when you're sleep-deprived, you can experience the sorts of symptoms you're describing; however, if something else is going on (e.g., a mental disorder), then that could be causing the hallucinations and sleep deprivation. Seeing your physician/GP would probably be a good first step, as you can address the sleep issue right away and also receive a referral for a mental health professional. If the physician/GP determines you have insomnia or another condition that interferes with your ability to sleep, and you treat that condition, then you may no longer experience the other symptoms. If you treat that condition and the symptoms remain, then it could indicate there's a mental disorder which needs to be addressed.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread