TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pen_and_ink Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy ptsd help! - May 18th 2014, 02:14 AM

It's been a couple months now, but some might have heard of the Columbia mall shooting. I was there, in a small jewelry store with the food court down the hall. We I was with my dad and younger sister, and all of a sudden a crowd of people sprinted by. We all got worried, and the store closed the doors. For hours, we say there, terrified, waiting for help to come. On the news, the repotrts were so unclwar and each one was worse than the next...at one point, the shooter was said to be in the store next to us. After a few hours, we began hearing loud bangs, like gunfire. It got louder and louder and closer. My dad yelled at my sister and I to get behind the counter, be quiet, and stay there. I was huddled there, hugging my sister when a SWAT man came and banged on the window. It scared me so bad, and up until that point I was fine, but when we got behind the counter, I began shaking really badly. I thought the swat Mac was the gunman and he was going to kill me. When we got out,I still will never forget what it looked like. I have nightmares about it, flashbacks when I am in a mall, paranoia and shaking when im in a mall, whenever someone brings it up I start sweating an feel like I have to run, and a new fear of dark spaces and gunmen...do I have ptsd?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Invisible... Offline
Not a n00b

Re: ptsd help! - May 18th 2014, 02:47 AM

I can't give you a diagnosis, but it does sound like PTSD may be a possibility. Do you have a counselor or a psychiatrist? If so, you should get it checked out. Talk about how you're feeling, and explain exactly what you just did in this thread.

Please get this checked out, best of luck to you.

Sending you hope and positive thoughts.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: ptsd help! - May 18th 2014, 02:58 AM

Hey, I am sorry you had to go through all this. It can be really hard to forget things like this. I agree with what Sarah said. It does sound like ptsd. Is there anyone you can talk to about this? A counselor or a psychiatrist? It would be better if you get this checked.
Best of luck to you.
I am always here if you want to talk. Stay strong

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
pen_and_ink Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ptsd help! - May 20th 2014, 02:25 AM

Thank you...my counselor used to pull me into his office and check up on me but after the first week he didn't bother. I told everyone I was fine, because I didn't want to make stress for my family. I thought the stuff would go away, but it didn't. The nightmares went away, but that's it. Last night, I had a flashback, and it scared me really bad. Should I go see my counselor? It's been a while...Will they think I'm faking it????

Last edited by pen_and_ink; May 20th 2014 at 02:38 AM. Reason: add signature

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Invisible... Offline
Not a n00b

Re: ptsd help! - May 20th 2014, 03:29 AM

Go see your counselor. It's really important. Chin up. I'm praying for you. They won't think you're faking it. Just please see help and counsel. VM me if you want, anytime.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ptsd help! - May 20th 2014, 03:56 AM

I agree with Sarah. I am praying for you as well
They won't think you are faking it, Please go see a counselor.
Message me if you want to talk

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
pen_and_ink Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ptsd help! - May 20th 2014, 04:16 AM

Thanks I really appreciate this help...I was having doubt about going but now I'm going to go

Stay Beautiful. Keep It Ugly.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ptsd help! - May 20th 2014, 09:11 AM

Hey it is a good thing that you decided to go.
All the best.. Remember I am just a message away
Let us know, how it goes

(#9 (permalink)) Old
pen_and_ink Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

May 20th 2014, 11:44 PM

Ok, So Today I went to the counselor. He said how he doesn't want to label what it is yet, but that I'll come see him every week until he figures it out, and because I need an outlet, so come to him

It felt like he didn't understand...

Stay Beautiful. Keep It Ugly.

Last edited by Philomath; May 27th 2014 at 02:02 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Invisible... Offline
Not a n00b

Re: ptsd help! - May 21st 2014, 03:37 PM

These things take time. Definitely keep going to him. It'll help. Don't worry and just be honest with him on how you feel.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: ptsd help! - May 21st 2014, 04:05 PM

Hey, Don't worry. Just be honest with him. He never said he does not believe you. These things take time. Stay strong

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Peter Pan Offline
New Memeber
Not a n00b

Name: Peter Pan

Re: ptsd help! - May 23rd 2014, 10:14 AM

I agree see a counselor and if you can go back to the place where to happened, then buy yourself something nice. So you stop linking the store as somewhere where something really scary happened. These things don't happen all that often and I doubt you'll be in the same position again. I can't imagine how scary it must have been for you, your sister and dad but you are all safe. Keep reminding yourself you are safe. If you do have PTSD, then it does not last that long, few months in most cases, so don't worry about this affecting the rest of your life although it will always be there in your mind. Please talk to your counselor they should help you ground yourself and help with any anxiety you might have. What you went through would have scared the hell out of me so I am not shocked that you angry/scared/upset, but you can work through these issues it just takes time. But you can get there... just keep reminding yourself the police came in the end and they took the bastards out. You will always have the police and although they took their time it sounds like that did keep you safe along with your dad and sister. PLEASE talk to someone about this and remember there is no such thing as a silly thought, we have them then they are valid and the mean something do us.

Closed Thread