TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Amazing date = anxious wreck - August 13th 2014, 10:43 PM

I went on a date. It was great. We spent 4 hours talking and laughing and he's really cute and funny and nice.

But by the time I got home 15 minutes after leaving him I was already building to a very anxious state. I've been feeling extremely anxious since.

On one hand I'm thinking we had a great time and he's perfect seeming - any reasonable person would see him again.

On the other hand I keep playing out all the problems of seeing him again.

I've been feeling very anxious ever since. And that's for 2 days.

Today I basically didn't want to do anything or go anywhere but I had to because I have resonsibilities.

I don't think anxiety is a normal reaction to a good dinner.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Amazing date = anxious wreck - August 14th 2014, 01:22 AM

Hi!

Congratulations on your amazing date! You know what I'm thinking as I am reading what you're saying? I truly, honestly believe that to some extent, we all have this anxious (or excited, depending on what end of the spectrum we consider it) feeling after a date goes really well! I mean, its a truly awesome feeling. While some of us get butterflies in our tummy, some of us may feel an even more heightened state of anxiety. But I think that's okay.

What exactly would you say the problems around seeing him are? If you're anything like me, you may be wondering what if it doesn't go as well as the first time? Or maybe even more likely, what if I really end up liking this guy a lot, and this is something that leads to a relationship? When I went on the first few dates with the wonderful guy I have now been dating for almost two years, I was constantly working myself up about the idea of being committed and considering how sort of... terrified of it I was at the time (and how much I enjoyed my single lifestyle), I had a lot of feelings of discomfort around it. Now, of course, two years later, I cannot imagine NOT being in a relationship with my best friend and my boyfriend, I just didn't see all of the merits and joys of being in a relationship at the time. And that's okay too, but its also okay to give something (or someone - him... as well as yourself...) a chance. (:

So, I think yes, you will go see him again. It will be just as wonderful, if not more wonderful than it was last time. You will probably continue to overanalyze in the mean time, which I haven't yet found a way around myself except by sweating it out in exercise classes, which distract me (but I think that distractor can be different from person to person). It'll be scary, as entering into new territory with another person can often be, but it will be so, so rewarding to develop this friendship and this relationship, particularly considering how amazing the first date was.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Amazing date = anxious wreck - August 14th 2014, 05:17 PM

It is definitely largely that I like being single and I am scared how my life will change. I want to join the military. Even if I don't I want to move all over the country before settling down. Yes, I want a guy and don't want to be alone but I don't want to give up all the things I would have done as a single person because now I have to care about someone else's career and someone else's future.

Additionally I rushed into every other relationship I had. And one guy was extremely controlling and insecure, another was basically making it all about him, if was very one sided. The list goes on. Lots of these guys I only knew for a few weeks or a moth before being like "yeah I like you, let's get it on!" And I wish I'd of waited longer, as in for months on end before committing to them. And I don't know if I can reasonably expect a guy to wait for months and months to be sure of him - but this is extra more so the case because now I have more to lose if it gets serious than I did 3 or more years ago.

And then finally I'm like "yikes there are so many other guys out there and how can I assume that this one guy is really the one I am destined to be with" and I don't want to commit there only to have to look at every guy for the next 50+ years and wonder "what if".

All of these are adding up to an extreme level of anxiety. Yesterday afternoon it was so bad I didn't want to get off my couch, I just wanted to curl up and sleep even though I had a lot of responsibilities to attend to. I don't think it's normal to feel that horrid over a wonderful date !

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread