TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Unhappy I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 07:29 PM

(As you can see, I am back. But I didn't want to make a new thread about it in the Arrivals and Departures forum so I just mentioned it here a bit.)

Well about a few weeks ago, I did a test for personality disorders because I was bored.
But well I had high scores for Paranoid PD (75%), Avoidant PD (90%) and Dependent PD (81%).
I wasn't quite worried the first time, but when I did that test a few days ago again, I had the same high scores on Paranoid PD, Avoidant PD and Dependent PD, but Dependent was 1% more. (all the other PDs were about 31% - 68%)
So after the second time I was worried, because how Avoidant AND Dependent were described, they perfectly fit me (I never worried about the Paranoid PD. Well I got paranoid sometimes or when having a panic attack but that happened only once and I am kinda sure I don't have it). Also, I have done another test especially for these two PDs and both of the tests told me I have it and that I need treatment but since such tests shouldn't be taken as a diagnose, I still worried.
And since I have two appointments for therapists on the 23rd and the 29th (two seperate therapists because my mother wants me to find out who I could get along better with), I thought I could maybe ask the first therapist on the 23rd to maybe either diagnose me with these two or to tell me that I don't have these two.
But since I meet that therapist on the 23rd for the first time, I don't know how to ask him/her to either diagnose me or not.
I am also worried about that...
I don't know how to talk about that.. What should I say? What and how should I ask so it doesn't sound rude or anything?
I just don't know.. I am even worried about that.. even thinking about that gives me a bit of a panic attack..
I also have a friend (who is in TH too) and he actually needs me, but I keep staying offline because I am worrying too much about it and I don't wanna hurt him too with me being worried..
I just don't know I am just worried and I want answers...

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 07:39 PM

You should never take such tests with 100% accuracy and seriousness. While they do have certain degree of correctness (assuming they were created by somebody who knows what he was working about), its more of a... gentle border that might help you learn more about yourself. However from what you're describing, it didn't really tell you much you wouldn't know, so I'd advise you to relax a bit. And considering you mentioned visiting a therapist, if it worries you so much, tell him about it and ask about what do to with it, how to cope or work on it, or really anything that comes to your head - it's their job to help you with your issues and any questions you might have, and getting answers for the questions will be a big victory for you.

Who dares - wins.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most Likely View Post
You should never take such tests with 100% accuracy and seriousness. While they do have certain degree of correctness (assuming they were created by somebody who knows what he was working about), its more of a... gentle border that might help you learn more about yourself. However from what you're describing, it didn't really tell you much you wouldn't know, so I'd advise you to relax a bit. And considering you mentioned visiting a therapist, if it worries you so much, tell him about it and ask about what do to with it, how to cope or work on it, or really anything that comes to your head - it's their job to help you with your issues and any questions you might have, and getting answers for the questions will be a big victory for you.
Well I DO have appointments for therapists anyway. But I don't only worry about that, I also worry about how I should talk about it.
Since I visit that therapist for the first time, I have no idea how to talk about that with her/him.

on T since 12/21/16

I am always here!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 07:57 PM

I'd say that it would be the best to tell him or her just what you wrote in your first post. It seems most honest and simple. Alternatively, if you're afraid of speaking, you can write it down in a notebook or something, and just hand the paper to the therapist so she or he will read it.

Who dares - wins.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most Likely View Post
I'd say that it would be the best to tell him or her just what you wrote in your first post. It seems most honest and simple. Alternatively, if you're afraid of speaking, you can write it down in a notebook or something, and just hand the paper to the therapist so she or he will read it.
Well that's a great advice. Thanks!
And I am, again, sorry that I leave you alone for so often... Stay strong!

on T since 12/21/16

I am always here!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I am kinda worried.. - August 20th 2014, 08:01 PM

You're welcome. Good luck.

Who dares - wins.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: I am kinda worried.. - September 1st 2014, 01:43 AM

Hi Julia,

I hope all went well with the therapists and that you were able to explain to them your concerns and figure out which one is best for you.
These tests are definitely not meant to be taken seriously. They are more meant for awareness of certain issues (if they were written correctly).
It is always best to just not even start those sort of quizzes or tests online and to go to a counselor or therapist instead if you are concerned you may have a problem. If you cannot put words to it, let the therapist put words to it not some online test.
I hope this helps and that things improve for you soon.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread