TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BigRed16 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Help please - September 4th 2014, 12:31 PM

Alright so when I'm alone, like a lot of people, I talk to myself. School started a few weeks back and I've been noticing weird things. Throughout the day I get a lot of laughing, "Huh's" from friends, "your tripping", and other comments. I think I speak out loud without ever realizing. To me I'm just sitting there normal minding my own business waiting to finally get to go home but I talk without realizing it at all!! I got in the car to leave school yesterday and I was thinking damn I gotta piss and my grandpa goes, "what did you say?" And I just reply I gotta use the bathroom and we continue home. It makes me hate going to school and I've avoided riding the bus all year but can't keep that up too long. I see a therapist, and mentioned this to her but she didn't acknowledge it much. Do I have a serious mental condition? I end up chewing a few packs of gum a day becuase of this. I'm diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and I think I have social anxiety disorder too but wasn't diagnosed. Please help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help please - September 4th 2014, 01:06 PM

Hi there and welcome to TeenHelp!

I think it's perfectly okay to talk to yourself. A lot of people do what when making a decision or something related. It is used as a self-soothing mechanism for a lot of people. However, you are unaware of it and that seems a little concerning. We're not professionals and we can't diagnose you, but we can make some suggestions. Personally to me it sounds a little bit like dissociation, although it might not be that. Dissociation is when you 'leave' your body to cope with your surroundings. Some people who struggle with it describe it as 'blacking out'. During that time frame you don't have a great awareness of what you're doing and you may say things that you're not aware of, slur your words, or forget what you have done during that time all together. It might help if you do some research but remember not to self-diagnose.

Regardless of what this is, you could use some grounding techniques to make you aware of things. Do you find that chewing gum helps you out? Chewing gum is a good way to ground yourself. So is walking, stomping your feet, and holding a conversation. If you're sitting down in class maybe you can make small tapping movements with your hands or feet.

It's good that you told your therapist, but since she didn't say too much about it I suggest telling her again and letting her know that this is really concerning you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Last edited by cynefin; September 4th 2014 at 03:18 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Help please - September 4th 2014, 02:22 PM

Hello there and welcome to TH!

I agree with the above comment about possible dissociation and general grounding techniques.

I would like to add that talking to yourself, in general, is very normal, as I do it and so does most of my family and friends. I also talk to myself when I am most anxious, so perhaps trying to find links between when you talk to yourself and what is happening at the time, can make you more aware of the situation and you can start to work out how to change this. If it's during social situations, try to focus and concentrate on the conversation to stop yourself from drifting away. In general situations, try paying attention to your surrounds, like listing in your mind, things you can see, touch and hear, to bring you back into the present.

I agree, that if this still bothers you a lot, to mention it again to your therapist.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BigRed16 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help please - September 4th 2014, 09:07 PM

Thanks a lot. I've looked around the internet about this plenty of times and could never find anything so it's great to finally get a answer. If it is dissociation, should I seek help or just practice grounding techniques? I think I might know some of the triggers as well, like a non interactive class where I just have to sit and stare, or when my friends are talking about something I don't know about and I just kinda watch. And I was wondering if sleep deprivation could play a role in this at all? Chewing gum seems to help more than anything but I still noticed it the other day when I had some gum so that kinda let me down. And I'll definitely be sure to bring this up when I go see my therapist again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Help please - September 4th 2014, 09:29 PM

You're welcome!

A professional will be able to confirm if this is in fact dissociation, so you might be able to mention this to your therapist as well so you can get her opinion. In the meantime you said you know what some of your triggers are and identifying them and working on them are always good steps to take. It may help if you write these down so you can keep track of them. Dissociation occurs when a person cannot physically escape their negative surroundings so the person mentally leaves the situation. This can occur in a lot of different situations and to give an example it can be seen in victims of abuse. After a while, dissociation becomes a frequently used coping mechanism and when anything occurs that the person isn't fond of it is likely that they will dissociate.

Lack of sleep affects a lot of things so it probably would affect this. Sleep or lack thereof can make the day in general a little foggy. It can also make mood disorders (if you have any) worse. Maybe you can try gum with a different flavor; something bold like peppermint or cinnamon. You might even be able to alternate everyday so you don't get too used to it.

Feel free to send me a PM if you need anything!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread