TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zemie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

there must be something wrong - September 6th 2014, 02:37 AM

I'm sorry of this is in the wrong section I think it goes here but I'm not sure
anyway so this is going to sounds dumb I'm sorry but im really really depressed over the fact that I'm short. like I think about it constantly idk if it's like an obsessive thing now but I just think of it whenever I look at people and it gets so bad that like I've cried and cut myself and one time I was at school and we had to line up for pictures by height and my friend wouldn't stop teasing me about how I was in the back of the line and I beat my head against the wall and gave myself a concussion or something I think. like idk it's just ever since I was little I wanted to be tall and it will never ever happen now and every time I think about it I just feel like a failure and like I will never be happy and I just want to die or not exist anymore and I know this is such a stupid and superficial thing to obsess over like there are people out there will real reasons to suffer or like with real mental problems and idk I've never been to a therapist because my mom says they don't work and they make you worse which I think is wrong but I can't do anything and I feel so horrible for worrying about my height which is so superficial but I just feel so bad and it won't go away
like it's not even that I care that girls won't like a short guy it's just I really want to badly to be tall and I don't even know why it's just how I've always felt and I thought maybe I would get over it but it just keeps getting worse and worse and I don't know what to do
i feel like i should mention also that im trans so like i'm short even for a girl and i don't think ill grow anymore but maybe it is possible i don't know

Last edited by Zemie; September 6th 2014 at 01:04 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: there must be something wrong - September 6th 2014, 04:18 AM

Hey

I'm shorter than average (short but not too short) and I REALLY wanted to be tall (cause of volleyball). But yea... Don't feel bad.. Body image is really important in our society.. And it could cause these feelings to be upset cause we all want to look "perfect", but we can't. Its okay to be upset and what you feel is what you feel. To me it doesn't have to be something huge to happen to be upset about. If you are upset, your upset and to feel that way.. It is big enough to have a impact on you

But you still have time to grow my dad was short and then he grew to almost 6 foot like when he was 19 or 20. So you might get a last growth spurt or two And if you don't just accept that it is what it is. everyone is different.

I hope this helped a little... But feel free to Pm/VM me anytime

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: there must be something wrong - September 6th 2014, 02:12 PM

Hi Alex

That is not dumb at all. It can be challenging to accept aspects about ourselves that we dislike or that we believe could be improved.
I am not very tall myself either and for the longest time, I hoped that I could somehow have another growth spurt (so I could be tall like my brother) but that will not happen now.
I think it could help you to look at the qualities you really like about yourself. What are you good at? What things do you like about yourself (are you funny, do you like crating things, are you a good listener etc.). These qualities are way more important than height in so many ways.
Height is an external characteristic not internal and it is perfectly fine for you to be as tall as you are. Try to think of advantages to not being very tall and advantages to being the height you are (such as not having to worry about being to tall to go through doors without ducking).
Also, you are seventeen according to your profile. You have some time to grow taller so it is possible you could go through another growth spurt.
Hopefully this is helpful to you and if you ever would like to talk, you can PM me. I will be glad to listen and help as best as I can.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread