TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BroughtToLife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

A Bit Messed Up - December 3rd 2014, 06:10 AM

Okay, hello.

This is probably one of the first times I've ever used a forum to get advice.

Long story short, I've been working on a novel for several years. I am also part of a virtual reality chat room thingy online. In early September (2014), I decided, for the sake of developing the character, to create a second account from the perspective of my main character, and I decided it would work to act like her on the game.
However, eventually, I began to think like her when I wasn't on the game. And now, lately, I feel as if she's a living part of my mind now. I am mildly afraid I have some sort of personality disorder as a result of that game, but for some reason, even though quitting the game would be the common sense approach, I can't seem to do so. It's as if I've accidentally created a second personality, and I can't let go of it.

It is possible that I am reading too far into this or exaggerating, so please keep that in mind when giving any type of advice.

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: A Bit Messed Up - December 3rd 2014, 06:32 PM

Hey there,

And since you are new- welcome to TeenHelp!

Whilst I donít think itís possible to develop a personality disorder in this way, what you have written does make sense.

It is very tempting to get sucked into a fantasy and go from creative writing to exploring that more deeply in real life. This is particularly difficult if we may lack something in our lives, and may be the reason why even the though the logical explanation would be to quit the game, you donít want to. Do you think there is something missing in your life? Or does the character have something that you donít?

Thinking about these things, may help you to realise why you might be attached to this character and then you can start to change things in your life e.g. if the character has more confidence, more friends etc, you can then try to think of ways of changing this to make you happier, rather than living through the character.

Perhaps instead of trying to quit and go Ďcold turkeyí, you might find it better to start cutting down the time on the game, and limit yourself as to how much time you spend on the game. It may also help to take a break from writing for a while, until you feel more yourself. If you find yourself thinking as that character, simply remind yourself that you are not, and that now is not the time to think like that character, as you will have time to do this when you write instead.

Hope this helped a bit

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: A Bit Messed Up - December 4th 2014, 01:53 AM

Hi There,

Welcome to TeenHelp!

I agree with what Hollie mentioned. I do not believe you have a personality disorder but rather you are getting caught up in the life of your character to help you cope with something that may be missing in your life. This is not surprising because when people lack certain qualities and are creative, they tend to put those qualities into characters they create (particularly if the person is very creative).
It may be best to wean yourself off of the game. for instance if you play the game two hours a day, cut back to one and a half hours a day and then the next week cut back to one hour Etc. until you are playing the game about fifteen minutes a day. This will be challenging but it may help you to start thinking like you again.
You can also try reminding yourself you are not this character as Hollie suggested when you start to notice your mind going into thinking like them. This may take some mental training on your paret and be something you have to put a lot of effort into because you have been thinking like this character quite regularly.
I am also thinking that if thinking like this character has led you to participate in activities you do not enjoy but the character does enjoy, you can go back to participating in activities you enjoy.
When you notice your mind thinking like the character it may also help you to focus on what is around: what do you see, what are you listening to Etc.
Hope this helps and that you can find a way to manage this.
Take care.
You can send me a message on here if you would like to talk.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread