TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LadySerine Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ayana

Unreasonably attached to inanimate objects? - December 10th 2014, 04:13 AM

I collect bouncy balls. I had 40 in total. And for some reason I am super attached to them. My mom took them away, anyone they were a waste of money, though it took my 3 years to get all of them, and took them all away. Now I'm really depressed, can't focus unless I really try hard, cant sleep, and can't stop thinking about them and crying. I'm exhausted. I tried stealing my 5 favorite ones back, but she caught me and now it's even worse. Can anyone explain what's happening and help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Unreasonably attached to inanimate objects? - December 10th 2014, 04:44 AM

Hi Ayana,
I'm 20 years old and I still do what you described. In all honesty, I don't see the problem with bouncy balls or another collected item. You've dedicated 3 years to collect them. Why do people accept if someone collects CDs or papers or something else but not this? I don't think it's fair she took it away from you and I hope you get it back. The fact that you can't even have 5 of them is like kinda unreasonable on her part. 5 bouncy balls does not take room, and you value it. You're only 12 years old, you're still a kid. Yeah I played with dolls till age 18 till my family made them inaccessible to me. Is it possible you can speak to her? If you explain yourself, she may understand. Hope things go okay

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: Unreasonably attached to inanimate objects? - December 10th 2014, 05:10 AM

Hi there, I am so sorry that this is happening, and what your mother has done is quite inconsiderate on her part. But don't freak out -- It's normal that you feel devastated! You've just spent a lot of time and money on a collection of objects, so obviously you are very attached to them. I would deffinitely be devastated if I was in your case!
I hope you're able to get them back, and like Gryff has said, try and explain to your mum how you feel about the situation.
Wishing you lots of luck! Skye

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Unreasonably attached to inanimate objects? - December 10th 2014, 06:15 PM

Hi There,

I am sorry you are going through this.
Many people collect things so it is not odd or strange in my opinion that you are quite upset about this. I am thinking that you feel this way because you put a lot of time into this and money to purchase them. You probably have some unique bouncy balls that are different colors, designs, textures Etc. that add to your collection and liking of them.
Try talking to your mom and explaining to her (in a nice way that is not arguing, demanding or accusing). Telling her how you feel because of this could help her understand you better and maybe she will give you at least a few of them back.
Remember collecting things is common. For instance, I know people that collect toy truck, I personally have a collection of shells I intend on adding to (if I ever get to a beach hahahaha) and I know people that collect many other things.
Hopefully talking to your mom helps.
Take care and you can message me if you ever would like someone to talk to.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread