TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 02:26 AM

Hey all! I'm looking to go head on in targeting my mental health issues. It has held me back from being the person that I want to be, so I am looking to change. I was wondering what particular things that those who consider themselves at a stable point in their lives? I'm not looking for any silly resource on TeenHelp such as "Who can help me" or something; I volunteer here, I know I know. I plan on removing razors, scales, all that stuff. I am now looking for personal experience and tips that helped you or somebody you know get to a better place.

Things I'm already doing/planning on doing:
1. I'm currently in the process of getting insured in the United States to HOPEFULLY be able to see a therapist/psychiatrist/etc. Sorry this one is so iffy, I know it's such an important factor, but at my income level, this is very difficult for me. We'll see how this goes.

2. Improving my sleep health by trying to get 6-7 hours a night minimum and trying to keep my sleeping consistent. I usually get enough sleep, but sometimes the schedule gets a bit screwed up from college, so trying to improve that.

3. Exercise 3-4 times a week without focusing on weight and stuff. On this I'm thinking about starting a tradition of trying to go on a hike once a month with friends. I live in a beautiful area to go hiking, and the weather is good for it all year round.

4. On that, eating enough, and trying to be more aware of my macro consumption (especially my protein and some micronutrients, as I'm a vegetarian) while not restricting my calories.

5. Doing a thorough analysis of those who I keep close to me and seeing if there are some people worth cutting out of my life, due to the stress they put on me.

6. Finding a hobby that isn't just my job and volunteering. I teach sex ed and I volunteer in a few sexual health/HIV organization settings, but I really don't have any...hobbies. I really love to read, so I may try to read a book a month. My boyfriend also wants me to start cycling. We'll see.

Is there anything that you did that you think really improved your self confidence or pushed you into the "stable/happy" area? I know that there's not one thing, I know that I'm not going to be happy all of time time, etc. But I'm just looking for a way to come at my depression/self destructive tendencies in a holistic matter and try to improve my life as a whole.

Thanks yall!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
crotia Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 06:45 AM

Hey,
I'm really sorry but I'm not able to tell you much, as i'm not stable or managing right now.
But I have heard stories about people getting great results from deep-breathing meditation for about 10 minuts everyday.
And I'm trying it too. (But I'm still working on it as thinking of nothing except breathing is very difficult for me at least)
I hope this may be of some help. Good luck. You can be proud of yourself for doing this.
One other thing that might help is accepting it when you mess up because what you are planning on is huge. And then forgive yourself and try again.

I really hope you will get there. And I hope this was of help. If anything you at least gave me some inspiration.

Helping others sometimes makes it easier to feel good about yourself and help yourself.

So PM me if You want.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 10:16 AM

Hey Traci!

I’m trying to do exactly the same thing right now!

I think your list is spot on. I also wanted to add that spending more time with friends always help, also have friends you can talk to about how you feel. Also, my last counsellor told me about the ‘pleasure vs mastery principle’. Basically, you need to have things that you enjoy doing, as well as things that you are good at. The examples she gave me for things that you are good at, were small things like giving people directions, baking a cake, reverse parking etc. Though, I have to be honest, I haven’t got very far with this yet

Also, tidying/reorganizing your living areas. Sounds clichéd, and you don’t have to be all ‘Feng Shui’, but just keep things de-cluttered and having decorations that you like, can also help. And for stressful days, I find being around nature to be calming. Though if you can’t do that, you could always add some plants, water features, or natural sounds to your living area.

Hope things go well for you!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 03:54 PM

I find that I'm often way harder on myself than the way I view other people so I try to remind myself that I'm human also and can be seen more as a person as a whole instead of good or bad all the time and other all or nothing thinking. I can't think of much right now, so I'll add when I think of more. But another thing is thinking about priorities. If there was something you really wanted to do but too afraid or something holding you back, think of how important that thing is for you. Things like hobbies and people sometimes would be too afraid to do a hobby because they're not "good at it" but it is so important to try anyway and allow yourself to make mistakes, loosen up etc.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mikeeeybee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 07:03 PM

Great post! It's really good you're looking for new things to try to help yourself and I'm sure everyone has looked in to or will look in to trying some of the things you mentioned

The biggest help to me was exercise (your no. 3). I started running about three years ago and have gotten in to it quite seriously in the last six months. I know some people have concerns about how they'll look, who they'll see or who will see them while out running etc. (I've thought about all of them and I've gotten so anxious about them that its stopped me going out before) but once you get in to a routine it's amazing how much you look forward to it - my daily run is the best part of my (pretty sad, I know ).

You can read about the biological/physical benefits of running online but for me the best thing is the feeling that you're running away from your problems and you can feel the fog clearing from your mind. It doesn't have to be a marathon, just twenty minutes/half an hour and I'm a different person! I put my earphones in, turn up the tunes and away I go! Running first thing in the morning and last thing at night are both amazing experiences and I'd highly recommend them.

I realise I've rambled on about running and you're probably bored to tears but it really, really helps! Good luck with making the changes, I really hope it works out for you

And if you're scared of the future tonight, we'll just take it each hour one at a time

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Em. Offline
I don't even like cats
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 13th 2014, 10:53 PM

If I get to a seriously bad point and I can't cope, I won't let myself listen to ANY sad music or music with sad words, I listen to the cheesiest songs even if they're annoying such as S Club 7 and so it takes that edge off. I dont know.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Indigo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 23rd 2014, 05:40 PM

Your list looks good to me ..... Il tell you what helps me too 1) watching vids of people worse off than me and also helping people like helping the homeless sending stuff to sick people etc .... It makes you feel like a much better human being when you take time to put other before yourself. Also MUSIC .....lay and just listen to inspirational music....meditate etc.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 23rd 2014, 08:13 PM

Forget about EVERYTHING. And watch tons of Disney movies.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: What's helped you recover/manage? - December 24th 2014, 12:05 AM

I make sure to call a counselor as soon as I start feeling off, rather than putting it off, so that I can head the bad feelings off at the pass, so to speak.
I get off of social media for a while. If people have to get a hold of me, they can call or email.
I play with my animals ^^ Animals provide unconditional love.

As for hobbies, I make clothing. I both knit and sew. I love repetitive motion tasks.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

Closed Thread